Chapter Six: Pocket full of Gold

Day 2,198 of rotting away in a small room....

Mom and I shared a look, one full of concern when hearing news that the police was here. The last time the police stepped on our porch was when two were carrying my drunk father away because he was involved in a bar fight that very night- almost killed a guy, that was the last time I saw him. I slipped out of bed, grabbing my house sweater from behind the door before making my way downstairs.

Lieutenant Ford stood in the door way in front of Luther, I took a breath of relief from the familiar face. "Victoria." He said with a deep frown, bad news, I can feel it. It wanted to slip off the tip on his tongue and hit me in the eye, but Liza being present kept him from letting it out.

"Liza," Luther grabbed the little munchkin's attention. "Go in the kitchen and bring Lieutenant Ford a bottle of water."

She looked between all of us, easily feeling the uneasiness in the air, and decided to not be a part of it by taking the hint and running off. I turned back to Lieutenant Ford, he's been around our family for years when Luther came into our; they're best of friends, which makes things twice as tough. The officer sighed heavily while shifting on his feet. "I have to bring you in for questioning."

"Why?" Mom interfered while stepping in his path.

"Mom," I placed a hand on her shoulder to keep her from making a scene. "I'll tell you everything when I get back. Just let me put my shoes on." I slipped past her towards the shoes wake and slipped on my flats to make it easy. I followed Lieutenant Ford out the door to his squad car, he opened the back door for me and I slide in gracefully with as much pride I could muster. Luckily, the neighbors were too busy being lazy to even look outside.

My index finger couldn't stop tapping on the leather seats, my stomach twisted and turn, heart raced faster than it should be, and I couldn't breath. I've lit the fuse, two people are dead because I couldn't put my foot down. I let my head fall into my hands, my fingers trembled in fear.

The ride was long, it's like that long walk to the sword; minutes of seeing that pointy tip and only wandering how and where's it's going to stab you. Lieutenant Ford parked in the garage, we were going the back way through the police building; considering the front was filled with reporters.

"How many people know?" I asked, finally.

He sighed heavily, eyes fell to his lap before looking up to see me through the rear view mirror. "Reporters took whiff of how Wyatt gained his information, a hacker that works for him, the reporters are getting smarter and stronger in patience; they don't know the name of the hacker, but they'll know soon. Tell me you didn't have a choice, Victoria."

I squeezed my eyes shut and nod my head yes. That's what Kate said, make it sound like blackmail so I wouldn't be in too much of deep shit; technically it was blackmail, if it weren't for the fact that Wyatt put an extra five dollar hourly wage on this month's paycheck.

"Make sure you be honest and say everything you know."

I nod my head once again, my throat was too dry to speak. Lieutenant Ford slide out of the car to open my door once again, the walk was even longer than the ride, but we walked through that door, through the narrow hall, and turned into another until we were upon the interrogation rooms.

I saw him, Wyatt, through the blinds of the second to the last interrogation room. He was no longer covered in blood, but he sure as hell still have that look of fear on his face. I had my own room, it was cold, small, bland with gray walls and the glass window; I could feel numerous pairs of eyes behind it, staring me down, and seeing if I'm going to crack under these bright lights.