Chapter 4: Forgivance

Kara's Residence

Look at it. Pride bubbled over her as she lingered on the cake in front of her. The taste might be terrible, but the decorating turned out well. She didn't need a human's taste sense to see that. It was only two-tier but it was simply practice anyway. North would be impressed, considering her skill level. The interfacing and studying, it was all working together. The taste was a small matter when it came down to it.

She could do it. If she could produce this in a week she could probably get herself set for real trading in a month or so.

"Kara? I found something."

Kara looked toward Alice. Found something? She followed her to her room. Alice opened the door to her closet. The carpet had been slightly pulled up. Alice got down on her knees and pulled part of the loose part up.

"A crawlspace." That was perfect. "Wonderful, Alice." She helped Alice get the carpet all the way up to see. "If we have to hide, we could do it here." It wouldn't be luxurious, but it was better to hide there than just hiding behind some table hoping no one came in. She moved toward the utility closet of the house and came back with a flashlight. "It's not very big but I think we could fit." Certainly Alice.

"You'll fit too, won't you?" Alice asked.

"I think so." She shined a light below. Yes, there was sufficient room, it ran under the house. "Yes, Alice, I can fit." Then she saw something interesting. "Hang on. Let me check something." Kara moved into the crawlspace. There was plenty of room, but her light shined on something she wanted. Protection. A weapon. There was a gun stored in the crawlspace. The owner must have been trying to hide it well, but never came back to it. She had no idea about the house's history, it was just their residence.

She picked up the gun. Alice's safety always came first. If anyone found them and wanted to hurt her, she would take action. She put the gun back down for now and climbed back out. "It's perfect, Alice. A little dirty, but you're okay with that, right?"

"Yes, Kara." Alice looked back at the spot. "Would Connor fit too?"

"No. I'm sure he wouldn't be hiding, he'd be searching for the intruders instead." Good thing she had that excuse. "That's why he lives up here in the children's area. Remember?" Kara moved a couple of Alice's toys over on top of the loose carpet. "Let's store these toys right here. It'll make it look less cluttered." Alice only had a few toys, at no time did it look cluttered. Even Alice gave her an odd look. "I just don't want you to be tempted to try and go down there. That's all. It's very dangerous and I haven't explored all of it."

"I won't, Kara," Alice said.

"Good."

Alice got up off the floor. "What did you find down there, Kara?"

"Nothing much. Don't worry about it." Now, she felt better. Kara hardly used a gun in the past, but when she finally had one in her possession, most of her fears always felt so far away. Like, she would be okay. Alice would be okay. Everything would be okay.

"It turned out well."

Kara turned and saw Connor. She was in the middle of trying to make a second cake when he came in to look at her first. Choose to be nice, calm, and then go to bed. Best way to make sure he didn't bother her about her repaired damage. "Thank you. It was very hard work. Enough that I'm calling it a day. I will see you in the mor-!"

"Apologies."

Kara struggled. Connor had grabbed her, holding his hand over her mouth. What was going on? She tried to pry his hands off, but he was such a strong android.