Chapter 25: A Careful Shuffle

Summary notes on the bottom for anyone confused.

California

After the shit Cyberlife just tried, they were going to lay lower and try different ways around. Going over major areas might be a little tougher later on too. Android areas tended to be near the big cities Kara needed to go to. Hank made his way through the day, again, and into another hotel. Again. Except, something felt wrong. His intuition screamed something was wrong about Connor.

Connor seemed as normal as ever except for one way. Connor always went with his gut feeling. His instinct. Hank had stayed out of his love life, 'cause who wanted to get involved in that shit? But, he had enough to figure things out. Now, he was being ordered to tell Kara about her being Rachel and him being Ralph, and he was working out how to do that the best without disturbing anything.

Which made no sense. Connor was bold. He was programmed to be bold. He put his ass on the line, just like Hank. People have treated Connor like shit before. It was pretty common for androids to be treated that way. If he got a rejection, he'd pull his butt off the ground and give up or figure out how to make him go for him. He wouldn't just stay in a defunct middle area. I mean, Markus having to order this?

"Evening," Hank started with the hotel person. Just another thing right there. Connor liked greeting people, not him. He didn't give a rat's ass about most of them. "Two rooms." Hank gestured to him and Alice. "One for us, and one for those two."

"What?" Kara looked toward Hank. Yeah, of course she was surprised. Connor didn't even tell her that part. Truly, he was becoming Chicken Shit. And that wasn't Connor. The guy was just getting worse, hour by hour.

"I've been ordered to tell you something," Connor said to her, "and Markus said we have to share a hotel room before I can tell you."

Laying it on Markus. Just another thing. Connor moved toward the window looking out the hotel. Paranoid too. Who the hell would be bothering them this far out from Detroit or Cyberlife? He was even rubbing where his throat met with his chest. Should I really? "You know what?" Hank said back to the hotel person. "Nah, scratch that. I'm bunking with the other guy." Yeah, that grabbed his attention. "Unless you insist on the other way, Connor."

Connor shrugged. Indecisive. Not him.

"Don't you have an order from Markus himself?" Hank encouraged him. "You don't care about that?"

"Mom?" Alice whispered. "What's going on?"

"I don't really know," Kara said. She looked toward Connor. He was himself, yet not. Something was off. It was small at first, but now it was just full blown not Connor. "Maybe he needs a good recharge."

"Maybe." Hank didn't sound convinced. He gave her the key card. "Take this. If I can get Connor to act more like Connor, I'll send him up." He watched the girls go away and grabbed the card. "Chicken Shit. Come on."

Connor moved toward Hank. "That's not very nice." He looked back toward the window. "I think Cyberlife is following us." He looked toward the key card. "Why did you change rooms?"

"I don't know. You making me do your work, the sad ass state of you, and overall? I'm just not liking you right now, Connor. I don't trust you." Hank pulled him forward. "Get to our room and go to sleep." Connor had an order. An order from Markus. Connor should be doing everything he could to make sure it happened. He just walked though, all the way back to the room.

"Hello," the hotel attendant said as another couple of people came over. "How many?"

"One room," one of them said. "Two beds."