Chapter 24: The Games

"The resonating could be because of the virus?" Connor asked as he walked some ways away from the fast food diner Hank was at. A small ways to talk privately and explain to Markus everything he remembered. He was trying to get Markus to use his own leadership and come up with a plan too. He couldn't put Kara or Alice at risk.

"Last house is where it all goes down. Last house is where we can get involved," Markus answered. "I felt hostile toward North. It was terrible. I got repaired, but I never want to go through it again. Unfortunately, resonating is just a symptom. I think there's a test subject of half deviancy in Jericho who's spread it around somehow."

"Just be careful and don't touch anyone," Connor said. Terrible words of wisdom. "It takes days before it really shows itself. If we can find a way to counteract it or delay it." What was he thinking? "Kara could do it. She's damaged herself though."

"Sorry to hear that. A small bit of work and she'll be back to your lover again. Maybe I could get someone sent out there for you?"

"She's damaged, along with me," Connor said.

"Connor. There's a difference between feeling the unsettling draw through damage and the real thing. I could never forget North and I were lovers, no matter how many others I find myself gravitated to. It's different. Embrace it. You specifically told me not to let you erase your first kiss for a reason."

"I don't see why you're stuck on this matter?" Connor complained. "Half deviancy could be spreading, the only one who could help needs to stay away from all large android areas, and Kara and Alice could be in danger."

"Hey," Markus told him. "I'm an RK 200. Maybe not as advanced, but I wasn't programmed for love either. You're not going to let go in your mind about the resonating damage being the cause of both of your feelings?"

"Increasingly, it's all over the place," Connor said. "She's a lover to Hank. So am I. I don't know how far down this would go, and I don't want to. I need to concentrate on what's important. Stopping this virus. Getting them safe."

"You have twenty four hours to tell Kara that she was Rachel and you were Ralph, Connor."

"Wha?" Was he serious? "It's damage."

"I know damage, Connor. You were way too adamant for just damage. What's wrong? You were excited before about having a lover."

"I don't. I don't have a level of any assurity." Connor caved. "With all of this going on in her head, it can't help the situation." He didn't get it. "You and North were quick, but you both felt it. You were working without damage."

"I got out old parts from an android junkyard to replace most of my most important bio-components. North spent months inside Jericho with no medical supplies. There was no guarantee everything was perfect. Resonating can be a big old flashing light, Connor, and you might not be able to have that light right now. But, if there's something. Anything that's going to give Kara a reason to stay attached to this world. My friend, there's nothing stronger than love."

"The order is ridiculous," Connor protested. "What does it matter if I was this 'Ralph' and she was some Rachel? She is remembering too. It's best she remembers herself. I don't need to stress her out."

"Connor Wonderland."

"Don't even start with that." It wasn't right. "Kara had such a hard time accepting Luther as family. She's been manipulated most of her existence by Kamski. I'm about to admit going a step above all of it with her. This won't end well."

"I can't believe you of all people need a pep-talk, Connor. Look. If things mess up, you can move back down. Humans do it all the time. They can't see anything and they get confused too. But I don't think there's any confusion. You just don't understand how adamant you believed Kara was yours."