SUS|24- Epilogue

Suspect Chapter Twenty-four
Epilogue
~
It was a very intriguing....reunion, I must say. Very intriguing...
~
That Evening
Manhattan, NY

{Ember's Pov}

One by one, as each of the kids arrived, they were instantly in tears from seeing their father again. Ashanti was the first to see him after coming straight home from school. It melted my heart to see how elated she was to see him home. They hugged for such a long time too. Shani was his baby girl for the longest but now...she's old enough to be her own person.

About a few minutes or so, both Mariah and Kahlil arrived around the same time. They each had their time with Nymir and took turns tearing up from the day we've all been waiting for as a family. Unfortunately, I couldn't get ahold of Mehki and we had to start dinner without him.

All six of us sat down at the dinning room table after I passed out plates of my famous spaghetti and enjoyed the meal before some deep conversations started to occur.

"So how was it?...Being in that place for so long?" Mariah asked her father.

"I'm just so happy to be home, you know. I wouldn't wish prison on anyone and I hope none of you ever think about disobeying the law...."

"I'd worry more about Mehki on that one..." Ashanti commented.

"Why you say that? He told you something because you know he stopped talking to me about things" I said, looking at her for an answer.

"Well he doesn't tell me anything either but word on the street is....he's pretty ranked up there in the Bronx. I heard he started trappin' and everything, now he's like some respected kingpin or something"

"Oh really?" I raised an eyebrow. "Mm, just wait until he gets here..."

"Don't tell him I told you. He didn't even want me to know about it" she said.

"So my boy became a thug,....can't say I'm surprised if I'm being honest. He was always about his money and respect. I should've told him differently, that getting respect wasn't as important as–"

"Wait– you got him into this?" I frowned at Nymir.

"Of course not, I just toughened him up and told him to earn respect out here. How you expect him to be a man without getting some hair on his chest and a name out here"

"He doesn't need a name out here! I don't need you getting my son into that shit you was doing, okay. Look where that got you....–I can't have that happening again. Especially not with my baby boy..." I said, looking down at my food. ...I just wish he was around more. He used to be such a mama's boy at one point but now he barely checks on me.

Nymir grabbed my shoulders. "I was just trying to get him ready for this world, love. I didn't mean to interpret the wrong message but our son is smart enough to know how shit works now. He's 23..., a grown-ass man and we gotta let him grow and man up"

I sighed. "Yeah, I know. I just hate that...all my babies are getting older, you know. I remember when we all used to live in this very house, having family night, watching movies, eating dinner. Those were the good old days. Now each of you have your own lives out here..."

"Speaking of that, I wanna know everything that's been going on with yall. Mariah, how about you start. How's your mom?" Nymir asked, chewing his spaghetti.

"Oh, she's good. As far as me though, I'm officially out on my own and I got a job at Walmart recently"

Mariah, age 24💛