First Meet

"I first met him in grade school. I was sent to Baguio for leadership training with CMLI, and he came up to me..."

Maine recalls every detail on how he met Alden.

It was the 2nd day of their week-long inter-school leadership training.

They met during a cold, rainy afternoon.

She remembers it well, because she loved the smell of rain.

"Hi." the 6th grade Alden says to this girl seated on the floor who caught his attention.

A brown doe-eyed girl looks at him and nods, as she stuffs her mouth with a handful of Pringles.

"I have a random question for you, Miss." Alden says.

"Ano yun?"

"Whenever I see you, you're always eating."

"....So anong tanong mo?"

"Are you always this hungry?"

Pakelam ba neto?

"Well. It's cold. Pag nilalamig ako, lalo akong tumatakaw. Gusto mo ba?" Maine asks.

"No thank you, mukhang kulang pa sayo yan eh." Alden chuckles as he sits beside her.

Tumabi pa 'tong mokong na 'to, iinsultuhin lang pala ako. Maine thought as she blatantly shows her annoyance.

"I'm Alden."

"Okay." Maine tries to ignore him as she looks around and waits for her classmates.

"....and you are?"

"Maine." She says without looking at him.

Maine's group mates arrive in the hall, which prompts Alden to stand up to leave.

And just as he was leaving, he whispers to Maine "Nice meeting you, Maine. See you around. Oh, and I find it really cute that you're always eating. Like a little bunny." Alden winks at her.

Or attempts to wink at her.

He goes to the other end of the hall to be with his own group as the facilitator announces their next activity.

"Amerikanong hilaw. Presko. Kala mo kung sinong gwapo. Maputla ka lang." She mutters to herself.

Maine remembers her annoyance, at that very moment, was real.

But now as she looks back, she feels warmth in her heart.

For on that cold rainy day, she found her first love, only she didn't realize it until much later.