Chapter Five- Down to Dancing

The next day, Deke had on a white t-shirt with regular jeans. Getting into his old Muntz, driving down the way to the dance hall. He started humming a little tune to himself, for no particular reason whatsoever. He was excited, ecstatic and extremely...everything! A mixture of emotions he hadn't got a clue why or how, but it got stuck in his head all night.

He was got to the dance hall, finding Sallie standing outside in a flowing white dress and red shoes. Her face was all made up and she seemed a lot more nervous than he was. Deke stepped out of the car and walked over. Her eyes lit up and she showed off her pearly whites, her lips painted red. Deke let out his hand, looking for her agreement. She held his hand in a dainty grip.
"You ready to get down to business?" She said with a giggle.
"Sure. Let's see if you're able to dance, huh?"

The two slowly walked in, 8 slowly turning to 9 to 10 to 11. The hours went by, as the jukebox filled the room and all the kids were dancing with each other. A fight or two broke out- lucky Deke didn't want to join them this time- but overall they all had a fun time. Before long, Sallie and Deke were tired out. The two sat down, watching the other kids dance. As Let's Twist Again faded out, the lights dimmed and all the couples got into positions. Deke really didn't feel like dancing, but (unfortunately for Deke) Sallie pulled him up.

She pulled his arm around her waist, grabbing his hand and holding him tight. For once, the whole outside world washed away. Everything stood still. It was just Deke, Sallie, and the dim lights around them. Can't Help Falling In Love With You started up, the lovebirds rocking back and forth. Deke felt safe. The town of junkies and greaseballs and cops, all flushed out of mind. And now, all in his life was Sallie. And he knew, right then and there, she was the one. You always see on TV the fairy tale endings and true love at first sight. Now Deke could tell that it was true. Though even though he thought it'd last forever, the song faded out and the lights lit up again as Rock-A-Hula Baby started to play. Deke pulled her outside, confusing her immensely
"Is something wrong, Deke?"
No, nothing's wrong Sallie it's just...c'mon, let's get out of here." "But where will we go? It's too late now to go to any diners."
"No, we're not going to any diners or nothing. I want to take you somewhere."
"Oh. Alright."

Getting in his car, Deke started to drive down to the place every fella goes to with a gal. There was a pond in the woods near the park, and if the moon hit it just right, it looked like some kind of magical lake. That's what he was counting on. It took a long while, but Sallie seemed quite content watching the clouds go by. She was humming the songs that were being played that night. She smiled again. He loved the way she smiled Almost like he was sent an angel. They got there.

Unfortunately, it didn't really work with the moon, since the clouds covered it. He couldn't care less though. He was about to ask her something big
"Sallie. I know we haven't been friends for a long time an' all, but I kind of feel like we have some sort of connection."
"Me too! Is that all you brought me out for?" She chirped with a chuckle. "Naw. Sallie-" Deke pulled off his ring "Would you wear my ring?"

Sallie just stood there, motionless. Not a yes. Not a no. But there was a look on her face that Deke read as disappointed. She let out a sigh.
"Deke, I wish I could. But it's impossible."
"What? What are you talkin' about?"
"Deke, let me explain something. My family were in the moonshine business about 32 years ago. My father never did jail time or anything, but that...that was only half if it."
"So, why can't we be together?"
"I'm constantly moving place to place to avoid police."
"That was 32 years back!"
"That's not what we're running from this time Deke."
"Well, what are you running from then?"
"My father killed a man."