Chapter Four- Brawlin and Bustin

Strolling home, Deke kept his head high. He was alone on the street. Except when a black Jaguar came up. They must have been loaded, that make of car just came out two years back. Three boys came out of it on his side of the road. The tallest had tan hair and determined denim eyes. He seemed mad, and extremely drunk- traits that the other two seemed to possess. The other two were dark haired, one with auburn eyes and the other had hazel. Hazel-eyes had a chain in his hands.
"So...this is the 'Rebel King', huh?" The blonde said.
"What of it? I never seen you in headlines. What's your name, anyhow?"
"Wayne Jackson. These guys are M.W Woods and Young Chip Kennedy."
"Never heard of y'all. Y'all think you're tough shit when you don't know a thing."
"You wanna test that?"

Deke swung at Wayne, almost knocking him out with one hit. He was real tough, almost everyone who knew him'd say he could kill a man from one punch. Wayne felt his nose, it dripping blood already. He swung back, Deke trying his best to dodge. As soon as it started, it got a lot worse. The other two jumped at Deke, trying to pin him down. Deke punched them off, but it almost seemed like with every punch they got more difficult to keep off.
"Quit it!" Came a voice from behind them. Twisting their heads around, a lanky, bright-eyed girl in a sapphire dress stood in front of them.
"Sallie?" Deke mouthed, since he couldn't see too well in the dark.
"You boys leave this guy alone! He hasn't done anything to you. You wouldn't want to upset a lady, would you?"
"Well..." Wayne mumbled, guilt creeping in his stomach.
"How about you three leave him alone?"
"Yes ma'am." Said M.W and Young Chip, fleeing with their tails between their legs, Wayne rolling his eyes before following.

After watching them go off, Sallie rushed over to pull Deke up.
"Are you alright?" She asked.
"Fine and dandy, missus."
"What did they want with you anyway?"
"Beats me. Thanks a lot for helping me out back there."
"Oh it was no problem."
"You saved me, miss. I gotta show you some sorta thank you. Tell you what, how about I meet you at the dance hall tomorrow?"
"Dance hall?"
"Yeah, I go there all the time. Just when nobody's around."
"Well that'll be perfect for me. People used to say I was a shadow. Always in the dark, never one for conversation."
"Can y'dance?"
"Well, I'm not sure. I've never really tried."
"I'll meet you there tomorrow, six."
"You got yourself a deal!"

Skipping off, Sallie waved sweetly. Something was happening to Deke, something in his mind. Almost like he was becoming a completely different man inside. He pushed it off as just some feeling. Doesn't mean a thing. But that doesn't make it any less. Deke started off back home. He wanted to at least look nice if he was going out dancing the next day. For once, he had something to look forward to.