Chapter Six- Saying Goodbye

Everything started to shake for Deke. The kind foreign girl was here because of a father who murdered a man. It didn't really change the way he saw Sallie, more of her situation really. It didn't really register in his mind. This small, sweet chick; her father a murderer.
"Deke, I'm moving away tomorrow."
"What! Where?"
"Nevada. A long way away from Tennessee."
"That's the word from the bird. Do you have to go so soon?"
"Yes. I'm sorry. But I do have to say, you gave me one last night of fun before I had to leave Memphis. You're a real cool guy."
"Thanks a lot, Sallie. You want me to drive you home?"
"If it's not too much trouble."

And so, the two got in the car. Deke wanted to punch himself in the face. How could he be so damn foolish? Falling for a broad; they should be falling for him. Slowly, Deke turned ice cold again. He knew that love to him was just a phase. Though, a small part inside him was hurt. He'd never admit it, not even to himself.

They stopped off at Sallie's house, Sallie giving him a small smile before giving him a quick peck on the cheek. She left, Deke pretending not to care. He thought that fairytale love was a myth. Now, he knew it for sure. He just drove off, getting home. Stepping out, he found Vince standing right in front of the door.
"What?" Deke asked.
"There's a rumble downtown. Us and the Lollipops."
"Those stuck-up broads? Fine. Let's jet."

On the way there, Deke noticed that Vince was studying him. Vince could always tell what was wrong with him. Deke messily shoved his blonde hair back. He knew exactly what Vince wanted to know, but he wouldn't tell him. Not about the graveyard, not about how Sallie saved him, nothing. He would stay silent as a mouse. It felt as if Vince was trying to stare into his soul, it was a bit unnerving.

Under the dark Memphis sky, Deke's blue eyes burned with hatred and feeling. This was his coping mechanism, to fight the thoughts away. And there she was, Callie. Deke didn't give a shit about she being a girl now. It was all about getting Sallie out of his head. Deke used to be cold and calm, now all that cold exterior turned bitter and hateful, to the point where women were just objects.

Callie started wise-cracking and making sarcastic gestures. That all changed as she saw Deke's beast-like expression. He was a rabid animal, and he wasn't about to stop himself anytime soon. She went silent, dropping her arms and stuttering, whilst Deke slowly came closer and closer.

The Hound Dogs saw this, but they were also confused. Their leader was often icy cold and cool. It was frightening, even for them. Who could blame them? If he was an animal, he'd be growling and threatening. They all looked around, just waiting for Deke to pounce...