Chapter 13: 11 Billion

Quiet cursing resounded through the room as Bec leaned against the window, upset. He stood up straight and paced to the other side of the room, reliving what had happened on the rooftop, over and over in his head. “Shit!” he yelled, as he kicked the edge of the fireplace. Pain exploded in his foot and he sat down. Cradling his foot with his wrapped hands, he watched the fire flicker and dance in the fireplace.

“Your profanity won’t help you with this.”

Bec looked over, shocked to hear Milo’s voice. He scrambled over towards him. Bec was surprised to find Milo’s eyes open and bright as he gazed up at his best friend. “Milo…” he breathed, reassurance spreading through him.

“Obviously.”

Bec grinned down at his friend and Milo smiled back.

Milo hesitantly lifted his right arm up towards Bec and Bec took it quickly. They gripped eachothers’ forearms - the traditional brotherly greeting.

“God, you scared all of us.”

“What? Oh, this little scratch? Not a bother! Bec, your hands.”

Bec froze. Slowly he explained, "It's nothing. Don't mention it to them, alright? It's not a problem at all. A few nicks."

Milo scowled at him, "I know how this goes. You don't say anything and then you do something stupid."

Bec  laughed and changed the subject, “You feeling okay?”

“My head hurts - like a javelin impaled my brain or something, but other than that…”

Bec whistled, “That bad huh? Unfortunately, that’s the side effects of the drugs that Arthur had Hannah dosed you with.”

“You don’t say…” Milo’s curiosity got the better of him. He lifted his left arm slowly, his eyes growing wider as he took in the I.V. in his arm and other leads attached to his chest. He followed the chords slowly and found they were attached to what seemed to be a stretcher. A small monitor on the stretcher beeped in time with his heart and other numbers scrolled across the screen. “What …?”

“I don’t know either. I’ve never seen anything like it, but then again, I’ve only been to a clinic once.” Bec shrugged.

“I don’t-”

Sen interrupted Milo quickly. “Good evening, Master Milo. Welcome to the Keeper’s property, I hope you are feeling well. Master Bec, you have been summoned to dine with the family in the dining room. Master Milo, food will be brought to you shortly thereafter. Shall I alert them about your conscious state?”

“No, Sen. Thank you.”

Bec sighed and stood, “Sleep. I’ll let them know, quietly.” He made his way to the hallway, and shut the door quietly behind him.

---

The room was filled with the warmth and smell of the splendid dinner the girls had prepared. Layla couldn’t quite believe Caza had helped cook, but Hannah assured her it was so.

At the huge circular table sat Arthur, and beside him Layla and Caza. Beside Layla, Gray sat and beside him was Rachel. Beside Caza sat Bec and then Hannah. There were several more places empty around the table. The food was served quickly and everyone dug in hungrily.

Layla avoided looking directly looking at Bec, but instead devoted her thoughts to the questions she was preparing for Arthur. She could see him watching her out of the corner of her eye. The room was full of quiet conversation between the others, but Bec remained quiet. Her heart struggled to ignore him and finally she gave in. She looked up from her food and locked eyes with him. Bec silently pleaded with her for forgiveness and she looked away again.

“Arthur?” she asked.

“Yes, my child?” He spooned another mouthful of vegetables into his mouth, before setting down his spoon and turning his complete attention to Layla, but Caza spoke up.

“What does it mean, to be a Keeper?”

Everyone turned to look at Caza, startled, but slowly their gazes rested expectantly on Arthur. He cleared his throat.

“A Keeper is a master of knowledge. For one reason or another, the government had deemed it necessary that all knowledge of our past be destroyed. This world is theirs to begin anew, and if the general public does not remember how it was, they will be open to the,” he paused and locked eyes with Layla, “the mistakes this new government will make.”

“Destroyed? You said destroyed.” Bec spoke up.

Arthur turned his attention to Bec and scowled a little. “Yes, destroyed. Of the first generation, a group of elders saw what the new government wanted to do. They forced a compromise. Instead of the destruction of knowledge, it would be entrusted to a select few. The knowledge cannot leave the grounds, but in turn, it is safe.”

Layla looked at him, “Can you leave the grounds?”

He shook his head.

“Why not?”

“It is the terms of the keeper. I must name another as the Keeper, if I leave.”

“Oh.”

A deafening silence descended on the group. Everyone ate their food. Rachel’s quiet voice finally broke the silence.

“Sir, who was there, before the firsts?”

He looked at her fondly as one might look at a curious daughter. “This history is taught in the schools, but perhaps I have not explained it as well. Before we lived on New Earth, we lived on Earth. An entirely separate planet. As a specie, humans grew too powerful and we desolated the Earth with pollution and garbage, and used up all resources. It became unlivable, and we were forced to find a new home. We had found New Earth as a possible location before, but we had thought of it as a last resort. When the third world war destroyed the planet, a select few were chosen to leave to the new planet. I say select few, but it was around 3 million people. This is very few, compared to the 11 billion who had lived on the previous Earth-”

Hannah gasped, “11 billion?”

“Yes. Now, we are learning to adapt to this new planet.”

“What of the rebellion?” Layla asked.

Arthur’s gaze hardened. “What of it?”

“What is it? Why is it happening? What is happening?” the words tumbled out her mouth quickly.

Arthur paused, noting the sudden outburst of questions. “These things are not meant to be discussed and I will not desecrate our dinner by polluting the air with these tensions.”

“Why not, sir? It's a good question,” Bec leaned forward.

Arthur’s voice grew more tense as he answered, “I will not! The rebellion is not of your concern, you will do best to ignore-”

“No.”

He looked over at Layla, incredulously. “What did you say?”

“No, Uncle. I will not ignore it. You can stay behind the fence of the property, but we must venture to the cities and take our places among the masses. What if we are killed in the rebellion? Should we not know why? Can we not pick sides?!” she was practically yelling now, as her anger filled her up.

“Pick sides?! This is not a game and you are a child! You know nothing of what you speak, don’t trifle yourselves with meaningless conflicts with those higher powers. You must pass under the radar and blend among-”

“I will not.”

He stared at his niece with dismay, before Bec asked quietly, “Are you for the rebellion? Or against it?”

Arthur looked around the table, before picking up his plate, and standing. “For,” he said in a low voice, before leaving the room.