Prologue: Taken

"It was a good joke," Amias remarked, watching Leo across the table. He sipped his drink thoughtfully. Sabrina laughed and so did Kyara, which is ultra rare, he thought. It wasn't something commonly seen anymore, Kyara's smile. He tried to make her laugh and usually succeeded, but it was becoming increasingly difficult.

---

"That it was.... Good one. It worked." Leo replied, not really thinking. His mind was troubled as he quietly conversed through his earpiece with Tyr outside. The computer was currently scanning through a few government lists they had found last night.

“That one! Look at that one,” he told her, zeroing in on a piece that looked promising. His bluetooth earpiece buzzed as someone called him. Realizing it was Riley, he blocked the call. He didn't want to talk to her after their fight last night.

Amias snapped his fingers repeatedly in Leo's face, trying to catch his attention. Finally succeeding, "Man, I know you truly believe you love her -"

"I do."

"-And you really think this could work, but I'm kind of thinking..." He trailed off.

"What? You changing sides too? Daren has persuaded you? It's a hard relationship, I get it. It's the way it is. But it's not like it's harder than the rest of yours. Your girlfriend is KYARA!! You can't be saying anything and anyways, aren't all relationships difficult?"

"No. It doesn't have to be. Look man, I'm on your side. I just really want to make sure you know what you're fighting for exactly. And...who you're fighting. Know your enemies."

"I'm fighting for Riley." He stated flatly.

"Okay, fine. Don't you think you might be risking Riley? You've thought this out?"

"Yes."

"Fine, but I'm your friend, ok? Just remember that we were there, at that party too. With you."

"Thanks, man. I'm not too hungry right now, I think I'll head out."

Changing tactics, "You know, jokes like that don't usually work with our girls. Kyara barely smiled."

"YOUR girls," Leo corrected quickly, not missing a beat, while shoving things in his backpack. "MINE loved it. It's a dull joke anyways. "

"Where do you have to go? Just stick around. Eat something. You aren't going to heal if you don't eat." Amias said quickly, trying to keep him there.

"You sound like Daren. Or Riley. Fine, I'll stay. But forget the topic of Riley, ok? I'm done with it."

 ---

“Jane.” Quipped Cae, Amias’ computer. “She's a new arrival at rebel base. He has noticed her specifically, yes?”

Oh yeah, thought Amias. They had ordered and were now waiting for the food. "Jane," he said aloud to Leo, carefully.

Leo jerked up from his dessert menu. "What?"

Cautiously, Amias continued, "Cae says you've noticed her. You like her, don't you? I haven't met her, but I've seen those kids around the base, right?"

"You-" Leo exploded, but then quickly shut his mouth as Sabrina came over to their booth, out of breath.

"Hey guys! You busy or something? Mind if I join you?" Without waiting for an answer, she scooted in with Amias. "I heard that everyone made it back to home base. I think. Wait...yeah, that's what I heard."

"Great. You also hear how long they plan to stay? We can barely hold this city. Who's going to watch the East coast?" Amias waved the waiter over. "You want anything?" He motioned at the menu to Sabrina.