chapter 1

After my mom died in a fire that changed my life I was sent to live with my aunt Anne and her son Bobby. We aren't really related but our mom's were best friends, and so were we.

Bobby and Anne used to live right next door to us up until a few years ago when they moved to Pennsylvania.

So here I was now pulling up to their little suburban house in a cab. The cab driver got out and started to take my bags out of the trunk. I could see bobby running down the steps to come greet me. He wasn't the nerdy little boy that used to play cops and robbers with me, he was tall and muscular. He had light shaggy brown hair, tan skin, and beautiful green eyes.

"Kylie!" he said as he hugged me tightly and lifted me off the ground.

"Okay Bobby I saw you 3 weeks ago at the funeral and I skyped you last night, put me down." I said with a halfhearted laugh, still hard mentioning the funeral.

"I know, I know. How you holding up Ky?" he said as he put me down.

"I'm okay I guess." I said not really wanting to talk about it.

"Here let me get your bags, my mom had to work the night shift at the hospital so it's just me and you tonight. You must be exhausted and starving, we'll order pizza." he said as he took the bags from the curb, and I followed him into the house.

"Okay sounds good." I said.

After a few hours of talking with Bobby I could tell he wanted to ask me something,

"Bobby is there something you want to ask me?" I said while taking another bite of my pizza.

"Well no its just I know you told me you were doing okay before, but your social worker told my mom about what you've been doing this past summer after ya know what happened". He said looking at me with concern

"After my mom died? Well I'm fine" I lied.

"It's just I've been going out more it's not a big deal." I continued.

"Not a big deal? I heard you went to bars and clubs, and would get so drunk, pass out and not go to your foster parent's house until the next day, so they would be worried sick about you."

"Listen its fine just drop it." I said which he accepted but I could tell that I would hear more about this later.

After my mom died I had to stay with temporary foster parents because I wasn't able to get out to Pennsylvania right away. So what bobby said was true, I went out and got drunk hooked up with random guys but it's what I had to do to keep myself from remembering...

After an awkward silence Bobby showed me to my room.

When I got there what first caught my attention was the big window, and the seat beside it, I knew that that would be where I would be doing all my drawing.

"Alright you must be tired, so I'll leave you alone now. Goodnight Ky." Bobby said

"Night Bobby." I replied back as he shut the door.

I stood looking at the room, taking all of this change in. I walked over to the window kneeled on the seat and lifted the window open. I could see the front of the next house and along the side of it that led to the yard. I also realized that this room was very easy to sneak out of. I could just climb down the tree that leans against my window, which would come in handy.

It was getting late and I still couldn't sleep. Not that I expected I would be able to. After the fire, sleep hadn't come easy. I got out of bed tiptoeing to the window that I left open from earlier. I got out my sketchpad, pencils, and sat on the window seat and started to draw whatever came to me.