Chapter 14:

Recap: Red gets knocked out by her own strength (lol) whilst Lykos and his pack get ready for war. 

****

When I woke up the world was dark. It was quiet and my room somehow looked foreign. It was cold but the air was damp and I could smell the bitter burning of copper.

My head pounded. Thoughts did not rush to me at once, rather a slow, burning timeline of the events creeped up my spine and withered away when it reached my head. The taste of it lingered on my tongue, I had yet to curl my lip and remember it.

Seemingly in slow motion, I got up. Something dry lay on my head and the smell of astringent made my nose flair.

Red.

I breathed out slowly. My hand grappled towards the door that held me in, and it opened without argument.

Smoke arose. Covering my mouth, I walked into the long hallway. I stood for a moment, the dizziness making the room spin. Reaching towards my boot, I gripped the concealed knife.

Every so often a yellow light would flicker across the walls, through the window all I could see were the colours of the sun. I made my way down the smoking hall, silently, my steps echoed across the marble floor, displacing the ash that had settled.

Suddenly, a hand gripped the back of my neck and pushed me down, and for a moment all I could hear was hissing. My eyes met with glowing red slits. The thing brought its nails down to swipe but I brought a knee up to displace its hold.

The vampire stumbled away and I watched it through a yellow gaze. It was wounded, half its face was burned- the thing unrecognizable. It gurgled slightly, and a moment later it threw up dark red liquid and stumbled.

I didn't waste time as I lunged at it, piercing my knife in-between its slitted eyes. It brought it nails down again, one last time, its defence was weak but he caught me on my shoulder and cut through my skin, latching on for life.

I cried out as I kicked it off me, my cloak ripped down the side and it was flung back.

Weak and hurting, I struggled down the hall. The vampire's hisses quietened, but I kept moving, holding my shoulder which was now bleeding profusely.

I breathed heavily, I knew I had to keep moving or that thing would catch me. I had to find Lykos, Aquil- anyone. The yellow light flashed across the walls, reaching the edge of the bannister I climbed down the stairs, struggling with every step.

At last the entrance was in sight. I could almost cry.

Don't.

I could hear the vampires hissing again. It was getting louder.

Walking faster, I neared the door and reached out towards salvation. I pressed my hands against the doorknob- only to pull it back as quick, my hand burning. Cursing under my breath, I assessed the damage.

My palm was red and raw, I could already see blisters forming, but I couldn't allow myself to waste time. Wrapping my hand around my cloak I reached for the door again.

I was too late. For a moment I was weightless, and then it all came crashing down when I was thrown against a wall and all the breath rushed out of me.

Winded, I looked up into red eyes.

It stalked towards me, and I could only think of Lykos.

Get up.

I struggled to catch my breath the vampire stalked towards me and pressed me down. It snapped in my face, his jaw opening and his fangs elongating.

The Knife was still between its eyes.

Snarling, I gripped the knife with new-found ferocity and twisted, the vampire screamed and brought its claws to its face. I was screaming now too. I pulled the knife out and plunged it into its throat, dark, black blood pooled from the wound, staining the floor like paint.

With whatever strength I had left, I started to saw and hack away at its neck, blood coated me but I continued, even when I tasted it on my tongue. The vampire was dead but my fear and adrenaline forced me to continue till I was at his jugular.

The Knife was blunt.

I left it and slowly got up. My legs were shaking as I made my way to the door. I flung it open, I no longer cared about my blistered hands. There was wet, dry, clotted blood hanging from my face. I felt like my own noose.

No!

I breathed in the smell of smoke, my lungs constricted and I felt as if I was choking.

The sky was on fire.

There were bodies everywhere.

I was surrounded.

"Its lovely of you to finally join us, Little Red" Omar Sneered.

My heart pounded- but I did not fear him, I feared Lykos who knelt before him. 

****

14/17

wow! 2.5K reads?

Comment/Vote/Follow