Two

"Shit", I say.
"What did you just say?", Tobias asks.
The beautiful black wolf in front of me blinks, almost confused, and then begins wagging her tail. If this is what I think it is, then her wolf must have just confirmed what mine said. She is my mate? I need to get answers.
"Shift", I tell her sternly.
She flinches at the tone of my voice and averts her eyes downwards. She doesn't make any move to shift.
"I don't think she knows how", Toby says.
I get down on my knees and she looks up into my eyes.
"Remember when you shifted into your wolf?"
She nods.
"Good. Imagine the same thing, but opposite. Imagine your bones changing from your wolf back to your human form".
She closes her eyes and then begins shaking. A small whimper escapes her and I move back to give her room. Slowly her fur retracts and she shifts back into human form. Toby and I stand in awe at the beautiful girl before us.
"Get out", I growl at Toby.
He shuffles out of the cell and down the hallway. I turn back and growl at the sight of the bruises all over her body. She jumps at the sound and moves back into the corner. I soften at the need to comfort her and quickly cover her in a blanket laying on the cot. I lift her chin to look into her gorgeous eyes. She blinks back at me.
"What is your name?", I ask.
"...Ari.. Arianna Crane", she replies.
Crane? As in John Crane, Alpha of the Black Crescent pack?
"Ari", I say, "come with me please."
I walk beside her and keep her close, not liking the looks she gets as we walk through the dungeon, but I contain myself so as not to scare her.
I escort her to my house and walk her into the office.
"Mary", I say though mind link, "please bring me a set of women's clothes to my office."
"Yes Alpha", she replies.
I sit her down on the couch in the corner.
"I'll have someone bring you some clothes", I tell her.
"You're my mate", she says in a matter-of-fact tone.
I sit down at my desk and meet her eyes.
"Yes", I say, "that seems to be so."
"I'm sorry", she says, looking down at the rug.
Just as I begin to ask why, there is a knock at the door.
"Here are the clothes, Alpha", says Mary.
I open the door and thank her. She tries to look past me into the office but I give her a thank you and quickly close the door.
I sit the clothes down on the couch next to Ari.
"Go ahead and get changed while I grab something for us to drink", I say.
I walk out the door and down the hall to the kitchen. I open up the fridge and grab two Sprites from the top shelf.
"She's hungry", Ezra says.
"Okay then", I reply.
I grab a box of Nilla wafers from the cabinet and walk back to the office. I knock on the door to make sure she's dressed and she opens it. She's wearing an old hoodie and a pair of black sweatpants, and she looks absolutely gorgeous. I walk in and hand her the box of cookies and a Sprite.
"Thank you", she whispers.
I walk over to the desk and sit down as she opens the box of cookies and begins eating. I watch silently until she looks up. The heat begins creeping up her cheeks and I know she's embarrassed.
"I'm sorry", she says.
"Why", I ask.
"For eating in front of you", she replies.
My phone rings and I see that it's Toby. I answer and tell him to come on down to the office. It's not long before he arrives and is standing next to me in the chair. Ari looks between us with worry in her eyes and I immediately want to comfort her, but I need answers first.
"Ari, where do you come from?", I ask.
"I.. I'm a rouge.. I was cast away from the Black Crescent pack this morning", she replies.
"Why?", Toby asks.
"I was a pack slave", she tells him.
"You said your last name was Crane", I said.
"Yes", she replies.
"As in John Crane, Alpha of Black Crescent?", I ask.
"Well, yes and no. He doesn't claim me as his daughter.", she says.
"And why is that?", Toby asks.
"Well, my mother was impregnated after a vampire attack on the pack. That's where I come in", she tells us.
And then there's silence. She's a hybrid? A werewolf and vampire hybrid? Does that type of thing even exist? The violet of her eyes tells me she's being truthful.
I look to Toby who has a startled look on his face as he says,
"A mix of two shall rule"