Equals

*Ari's POV*
My eyes flutter open as light filters through the soft yellow curtains. I feel so warm, safe even, under my beautiful patchwork quilt. I haven't slept that well in a very, very long time. It was a deep, dreamless sleep with no visitors to wake me during the night. I turn over and look at the small clock on the nightstand. 11:23?! What?! How could I have slept almost twelve hours?! I told the Alpha I would see his doctor this morning, he's going to be angry at how late I am. I jump up and quickly make my bed. I look around the room for my jeans but they're nowhere in sight. My duffle bag is sitting on the dresser, but as I unzip it I see the clothes inside are missing.
"Where are all my clothes?!", I say aloud.
"Maybe check the dresser?", I jump slightly at Aspen's suggestion. I'm still not completely used to her being there. I open the top drawer and see socks and underwear, all brand new and neatly stacked. The bottom drawer has new, soft pajamas that I can't wait to wear. Finally, the bottom drawer is full of jeans and a couple pairs of leggings.
"Nice", Aspen says, "he's a keeper".
I walk slowly over to the closet and pull it open. Inside there are many different colored and patterned t-shirts, blouses, and even a couple dresses hanging in order of color. I choose a sky blue long-sleeved shirt and dark jeans. I move to the bathroom sink to find a new toothbrush in the holder. I quickly brush my teeth and comb my hair. As I'm throwing my hair in a bun I look at myself in the large, lighted mirror. What I see looks so much different from the frail girl in the ripped jeans and white t-shirt that was allowed at home. Home. That place isn't my home, I'm finally free.
As I'm finish with my hair I move to the big window and crack it open to the fresh, October air. It feels perfect outside, I won't even need a jacket. I grab my worn tennis shoes from the corner and head out into the hallway. The door to the room across from mine is open. His room. I look around to make sure no one is watching the slowly peek inside. It's a very minimal, modern looking room with sharp edges and dark grey walls.
"Wow, I can see why his mother wanted to decorate the house instead", says Aspen. I chuckle. Although it's not my style, it is still nice and clean. I turn and make my way towards the stairs. As I descend, I can hear movement below. I step down into the white living room and take in the sight as the light pours in from the large windows. The alpha sitting at an oak dining table just off to the side of the living room. Aspen hums with warmth.
"Good morning Arianna", he says as I begin to make my way across the room, "did you sleep well?"
"Uhm.. yes.. thank you." I said as I made my way up to the table. "I'm truly sorry for sleeping so late. It was an accident, I forgot to-" he reaches out and softly touches my arm. "Arianna", he interrupts, "you don't need to apologize. We have plenty of time to get you acquainted. I know you must have been exhausted after everything that happened yesterday. I'm just glad to see you were comfortable. I asked Mary to wash your old clothes and make sure you had fresh ones as well as any other necessities you may need, I hope that is okay."
"Oh yes", I say, "I am very grateful for your help".
"It's not a problem", he says, "and if you're okay with it, I'd like to take you to buy new shoes". I look down at the shoes still held in my hand. They're old, with holes in the toes from wear, but the soles are still in good shape.
"I couldn't let you buy me shoes, Alpha, you've done so much already." I say nervously.
"Don't call me Alpha, we're equals. Call me Eli. I insist on buying you new shoes, but that can wait until after you see Dr. James."
"O..okay... Eli". I reply.
"Good. Go ahead and grab something to eat from the kitchen. I'm going to grab a couple things from my office and then we'll get going." He says as he walks out of the room. I move to the kitchen and look around. I see some fruit in a bowl on the counter and pick out a banana. I walk into the living room and wait for Eli to come back. He said we were equals. Equals? What could that mean? How am I equal to an Alpha when I'm just a rogue slave girl?
"Ready to go?", he asks, interrupting my thoughts. He emerges from the hallway with a messenger bag thrown over his shoulder. He's wearing a dark grey v-neck shirt, dark jeans, and black boots. This is the first time I've actually taken in his appearance. He's gorgeous. He's about 6 feet tall, give or take, with dirty blond hair hanging across his forehead. His sharp jaw is stippled with facial hair that's trimmed neatly. He has piercing, almost translucent green eyes with flecks of amber.
"I'm ready", I reply.
I follow him out the door and over to a deep red Jeep Wrangler. He opens the passenger side door and I slide into the clean leather seat. Once he's sure I'm inside he closes the door and moves over to the driver side. He hops in and starts the car.
"Let's go meet Dr. James."