Salad

"Ari! Why don't I have any clean socks in my drawer?!"
I shuffled into Jack's room with a hamper full of clean, folded socks.
"I'm sorry Jack, I just finished folding them." I averted my eyes to the ground as I sat the hamper on the floor. He was the future Beta, there was no way I was going to risk looking him in the eyes. SMACK! My head whipped to the side as tears began to pool in my eyes. A familiar stinging made its way to my cheek.
"Make sure there are always clean socks in my drawer from now on. Do you understand?", he said.
"Yes sir", I said as I began putting socks in the drawer.
He stormed out of the room and I was left alone to finish his laundry. It was Saturday. Training day for most of the pack, but for the pack slaves it was laundry day. I was assigned to the fourth floor of the pack house, which belonged to the leaders of the pack and their children. This was a normal Saturday for me. No matter how early I started the laundry I always seemed to be late with it. I finished up in Jack's room and began to fill the hamper with Will's clothes. I walked past the Delta's room to the end of the hall and knocked on the door. Will opened it and sat back down at his desk. I began putting away the laundry in silence. Will was the nicest person to me, although I wouldn't say he was a friend. He just didn't like hitting me like everyone else.
"Ari, you turn 18 tomorrow.", he said.
Yes, he was right. The whole pack knew my birthday. They couldn't wait to cast me away forever. Tomorrow the whole pack would gather on the training field to watch me endure my first shift and then cast me away into the wilderness
"Yes sir", I said, unsure of what he wanted me to say.
He laced up his training shoes and stood up. Before he closed the door, I heard,
"Good luck."
Why would he say that? Did he have some sort of sympathy for me? He couldn't, no one here did. I shook it off and finished up the laundry from the floor. When I was finished, I grabbed my hamper and walked down the stairs, careful to stay out of the way of anyone going up. I reached the ground floor and walked through the living room into the kitchen on my way to the small laundry room that was just on the other side. It was almost eleven and most of the pack was already up and headed out to training. As I walked into the kitchen I saw Lina, Will's "mate", or so she thought, pouring a glass of fruit punch. As I began to move around her, she whipped around, throwing the fruit punch all over my face and shirt.
"Watch it!", she said, as she pushed me down.
I dropped my hamper, which was luckily empty, and fell on my butt with a thud. She stalked out of the kitchen while laughing like a hyena.
"Great, now I need another shower", I huffed as I got up and retrieved the hamper. I sat it down in the laundry room and began down the stairs leading to the basement.
I opened my bedroom door and walked to the closet. There wasn't much to my room. I had plain grey walls with a scuffed tile floor. In the middle sat a twin sized bed made with an old stained up quilt. Next to the bed was a small table with a lamp. In the corner I had a bookshelf with a few books that I liked to read if I ever came across any spare time.
"I better hurry so that I can start on lunch", I said out loud to only myself.
I grabbed a worn white t-shirt, plain underwear, and faded blue jeans and walked into my bathroom.
As I waited for the water to heat up, I threw my stained clothes into the corner and let my long hair free from its bun. I looked at myself in my spotty mirror. I didn't think I was necessarily unattractive. I had long, onyx-colored hair with natural silver-colored highlights. I had an oval shaped face with high cheekbones and a small round nose. I had small, yet plump pink lips. My violet eyes were caged by long, dark eyelashes and arched eyebrows. I had light freckles on my cheeks and nose. The steam coming from the shower caught my attention, telling me the water was heated. I hopped in and quickly washed my hair and body. I took a moment to just stand and let the water run over my petite, bruised body. It felt good, a shower was my only time to think to myself. I shut of the water and quickly got dressed.
Upstairs, younger pack members had began trickling in. That signaled that it was time to get started on lunch. Saturday's were my days to cook, but I didn't mind. I liked to cook, I found it relaxing. Today I'm making turkey, ham, and cheese sliders with salad for lunch. I retrieved everything I needed from the fridge and the pantry. I began thinking about tomorrow as I layered the meat and cheese on the slider buns. I was going to be 18. I wondered what my wolf would be like. Would she be shy and timid like me, or full of energy? At that thought a warm feeling ran through my veins, gone as quickly as it came. Anytime I thought of my wolf this happened. Although I'm a Hybrid, I think I am more wolf than vampire. The only characteristic I have of a vampire is my eyes. I don't even have fangs and I have never craved blood. I can't wait to finally meet my wolf and leave this horrible place. I put the sliders in the oven to melt the cheese and toast the buns. I began cutting up the vegetables for the salad while I waited for the sliders to cook.
"Hey bloodsucker, what's for lunch?", the head warrior, Noah, said as he entered the kitchen. I jumped at the sound of his voice and cut my finger on the knife I was holding. I gasped and quickly covered it with a paper towel.
"Now look what you've done, dumbass. You better remake that salad, I don't want your contaminated blood anywhere near my food.", he said as he left.
I looked at the clock, 7 minutes until noon. I quickly retrieved a band-aid from the kitchen drawer and wrapped my finger. I had 7 minutes to make a new salad and get lunch on the table, or things wouldn't be good for me.