Part 24

Fallon Connelly 4:02 p.m.

The salon Kim's mom owns is directly below the apartment they live in. It's a recently rehabbed block, so the buildings have smatterings of red brick for looks more than structure. The entire block looks okay, minus some shattered glass. It gives me hope for my own apartment, which I'm getting antsy to see. Whenever I look at the sky in the direction of it I see even thicker dark smoke.

The salon is dark and empty and I opt to wait outside while Kim, Brett and Marc go in. Cal sits on the curb, swinging his backpack around so he can root through it. Justin sits beside him, watching him curiously. Ry-Ann is still my shadow, but hasn't looked at me directly while being so. Price leans up against a parked car, looking like the Phantom of the Opera in his facial bandages. I'm not sure what he's doing, staying with us, as he's hasn't yet mentioned where he lives or if he has any destination in mind at all. The guilt of sending him out the window keeps me from asking his intentions.

Cal finds what he's looking for in his backpack. He pulls out a brown paper bag, the same kind he brings every day with his lunch in it. I already know what's inside. There will be a ham and cheddar sandwich, mustard no mayo, a bag of chips that are either plain or barbeque and a green apple.

Cal first pulls out the sandwich in its plastic bag. He takes one half and gives it to Justin, who barely waits to have it in his hands before taking a bite. I catch Cal's eye and we share a smile. He raises the other half to Ry-Ann and she moves forward to take it.

"Thanks," she says. She is appreciative but the sadness in her voice is deep. It's not until she returns to her position beside me that she starts eating, taking it much slower than her brother.

Cal stands and holds up the chips, barbeque, and the apple in front of me. I choose the apple and nod in thanks, as I didn't realize my hunger until I saw the lunch bag. I'm thirsty too, but after seeing the busted pipes in the park, I'm not sure how available water will be. I bite into the apple and look at Price. I realize we're all eating, and while offering a teacher a piece of my already bitten apple is an awkward thing for a student to do, I do it anyway.

He looks up when he hears his name and seems to be coming back from a mental trip that he has to shake away like cobwebs. I hold up the apple, bite mark and all, and he declines. I can't shake the feeling that Price is giving up, although I'm not sure why.

Marc is the first out of the building and he's carrying a backpack of his own now. His face is cleaner and I wonder if that means there is still water flowing in this area.

"Kim's family isn't here, but they left a note for her. This block evacuated a couple hours ago because of the fires headed this way. They said there is a shelter being set up in or near Forest Park. She and Brett are packing some things but she had me raid the apartment for anything we might need."

He turns the backpack around to open it and pulls out a small first aid kit. Then he shows a handful of hand wipes. What he pulls out next gets a much bigger response. Water bottles. He gives one to each of the kids first, and I help Justin open his before accepting mine.

"Thank you," I say before taking a sip. It's like drinking a miraculous antidote to the pain and fatigue I'm feeling. Even Price takes a bottle and sips slowly. I don't allow myself to finish the bottle, not knowing what lay ahead.