Part 15

Fallon Connelly 1:58 p.m.

There is no ferry taking people across the river. In fact, the dock that held some of the riverboats is split in half and there is no sign of any white and blue boats playing fiddles. There is a high concentration of emergency personnel here, with several police and firefighters dealing with people stuck at the top of the arch as well as people lost in the river.

The boat was there one minute and gone the next, like the river swallowed it whole, I heard someone say.

The waters had risen and continue to rise as we stand there. We're silent as I wonder how high it will go. If it could run backwards, what was to stop it from pouring into the city? Are those helicopters filming? Is the world seeing this?

Marc stops a middle aged couple coming from the direction of the arch. She's carrying a plastic bag with the logo of the gift shop in the museum under the arch. She's holding it tightly enough to choke the life out of whatever St. Louis knick-knacks she bought.

"Excuse me Ma'am, do you know what's going on back there?" As he points I look again and see that there is now a fire truck on the road at the base of the steps leading up to the arch.

"There are people up there," she says. "They said one of the cables taking a group up snapped."

"Snapped? Were people hurt?" I ask.

"That's all I know," she says, shaking her head. "Now please, we just want to get back to our hotel."

Marc steps out of their way and the couple practically starts running in their hurry. I take a few steps toward the arch and squint my eyes, as if I might be able to see the trapped people through the tiny windows at the top.

I had only been up in it once and that was more than enough. I was ten and my dad wanted me to see what Busch stadium looked like from high up. I never considered myself someone who was afraid of heights or small spaces, but I almost gained both phobias on my way to the top. The tiny little pod you are pulled to the top in. The tight space with too many people elbowing each other for a good picture out the windows. The sound of the arch beneath your feet as you walk. The thought of being stuck up there makes me shudder.

Brett and Kim are the first to turn away and start walking back. Nothing needs to be said. We all know our only route is back through the city now. I turn, then Cal, and a few moments later, Marc and Price.

No one says anything until we are almost back to the flattened parking garage. I realize that we have become those pale faced shufflers we saw as we approached the river.

"I left something at the hospital," Price says, his hand on his side. "Something I need back. Something that belonged to my wife."

"We'll take you," Brett says. Kim nods beside him. Marc is already walking.

The thought of going back through that crowd hollows my stomach.

"Could I meet you back on 10th?" I ask, half expecting them to say it's about time they ditched us.

Marc looks at my hands and I imagine he's thinking that because he saw it through, getting me medical attention, he's done his part.

"Okay," he says, to my surprise. "See you on 10th."

He moves off with Price, Brett and Kim. Cal, predictably, stays.