Chapter one

For as long as Jenny could remember, she wanted to be more than just a girl living in the small town of Protagnoville. She wanted to make a change, even if the change only affected a small group of people. But over the years, as her desperation increased throughout her horrifically normal life, she found that there was nothing she wanted to do. How could she make a change if she couldn't make one decision? She grew incredibly depressed by her teenaged years, striving for purpose, yet never finding it.

     Then, only eleven years ago, she realized her purpose.

     When she was sixteen, her father had taken her to his job. And she became baffled with how important it really was. She knew from then on that she wanted to become a doctor. Her father was happy about her decision, and began teaching her after school so she would be more prepared. She was happier then she had been in a long time.

     But then, her father died and was replaced by a stingy man who disagreed with her choice of a career. It's only been a few months since he's moved in and he's attempting to make her drop out of med school, only though she only had two years left.

     "I've told you several times! I want to be a Doctor! Not a freakin film director!" Jenny yelled at her fake-dad, Randy Moore. Tonight was one of those nights where her mother wasn't there to stop them from fighting. Of course he brought it up again. And now, Like most arguments, he was seething with rage.

     "No Jenny! You aren't gonna waste your time being a doctor when you can be like me! Making films with horrible symbolism!" he demanded, his face turning a purplish-red the angrier he got. Jenny let out a groan as she ran up to her room, not wanting to speak to her father any longer. 

     Jenny suddenly stopped in front of her door to hear a strange voice. 

     "Attention! The purge has begun and stuff. All illegal stuff is now not illegal. Have fun!" The voice announced. Jenny suddenly remembered that it was the purge. The purge was a day when all crime was legal. Jenny walked into her room and let out a small sigh. She got so angry that she didn't even get her dinner (A chicken bean burrito, a steak quesadilla, and a coke. Thought you ought to know.) But she wasn't very hungry right now, because the thought of both her "father" and the purge made her so furious that her appetite had slipped away. 

     Randy Moore wasn't even her real father. Her real father was an amazing man, who had died last purge. He had slipped on the family cat right after the purge sirens had signaled the end. Due to it being after the purge the cat was convicted of manslaughter and was sentenced to twenty years in prison with a fine of $10,000. Jenny cried five tears as she thought of the traumatic experience, and how Randy was just a replacement. 

     Before Jenny could even think about what she was going to do in the purge and her fake dad, she was suddenly swept away by a rouge wave. "Help!" Jenny called before getting plunged under water. She attempted to fight the waves, but she wasn't able to resurface, the dark water hitting her like a club every time she felt her hand push out of it. 

     Jenny started to lose consciousness. But before she let the darkness overwhelm her vision, an arm wrapped around her and pulled her up. 

     "It's okay, we're going to make it out of here." a gruff voice whispered in Jenny's ear. She realized that she was being pulled onto land, and that she was literally only a few yards away from her house.

     Jenny let out a small sigh and looked over to her savior, wanting to thank him for saving her from the wave that came out of nowhere. And realized that the person that had saved her was... Josh Hutcherson!