Chapter 7

Chapter 7 

Max's POV 

We made it into the District Championships and were getting prepared for the game. It's been two weeks since my parent's and I got home from our Christmas vacation; boy was I glad to be home. I was so bored while I was there because none of my cousin are the same age as me, everyone was either way older than me or way younger than me. To be honest though I was just glad to be home because then I could be around Jason.  

Mom had questioned me more than once about me being mopey and wanting to know what was going on with me. I couldn't very well tell her that I thought I was falling in love with my best friend or that I want to go home so that I could be around Jason, so I just put on a happy face and pushed through the rest of the vacation. I caught the worried looks that she threw my way and I'm sure the fact that I got happy when we got home didn't pass her by. Oh, well I would have to tell her eventually but I needed to get my mind off that and focus on the game that we were getting ready to play. 

We were playing our cross-town rivals Austin High School for the championship. I was actually glad to have Jack back because we needed him on the defensive line to be able to stop them from getting through. By halftime, we were up by seven and were very tired. Both their offensive and defensive lines had worn us down to the point that some of us were limping off the field and into the locker room.  

"You guys are doing great and I know you're tired but I need you to dig down deep and keep going. I believe that we can beat them," Coach cheered us on before it was time to head back out onto the field. 

*** 

We won the game thirty four - thirty three but were exhausted. Jack hurt his left knee and had to leave the game during the third quarter, he wasn't able to come back into the game. It was awesome to be the District Champions. We now had an automatic bid into the State Playoffs and Coach felt that we had a shot to win State. 

"I hope Jack's ok?" Simon said. 

"Me too, I heard he had to go to the hospital to have his knee x-rayed," Jason said. 

"I don't wish anyone harm but he had been one of my best friends and I hope he's ok. His dad will be pissed if he loses his scholarship to college. With everything else that is going on this would just make it worse," I said. 

"No it won't. Jack came and stayed with me for a few days when Chloe was arrested. His dad was pissed that Jack let the police arrest her," Simon replied. 

"I bet. My dad said that Mr. Sands has become belligerent and Dad suspects that he is coming to work drunk." 

"That wouldn't surprise me. Hey why don't we go check on Jack at the hospital?" 

"I think that would be a good idea. Let's go," said Jason as we were walking out of the locker room. 

We found my parents and Jason's dad standing at my car waiting for us. "Congratulations boys! We're so proud of you," Mom said as she pulled each of us into a hug, while our dads just clasped us on the shoulders. 

"Dad, do you think you and Mom can take my car home? Jason and I want to go to the hospital and check on Jack. Jason will give me a ride home when we're done." 

"Sure Son. Tell Jack we hope he feels better soon." 

"Thanks, will do." 

We got to the ER about twenty minutes later. Apparently, we weren't the only teammates that decided to check on him. I saw Tina sitting there, so I went over to her to make sure she was ok. 

"Tina, have you heard anything?" I asked. 

"They took him into surgery. Not only did his knee get dislocated, but apparently he tore his ACL, fractured his tibia and fibula as well. His dad is gonna be pissed, the doctors said that he may never play football again; but definitely not again this season. He may lose his scholarship now."