Chapter 1

It's Monday morning. Typically I should be wizzing through traffic trying to make it on time to work for once. But today, I have the day off due to picking up a weekend shift. It feels nice to be able to wake up on a Monday and be able to lay in be due to having absolutely nothing to do or no where to be. It's a gorgeous day outside, so I'm contemplating on what I should make of this day off of mine. I finally decide drag myself out of bed and make my way to the kitchen. I start a pot of coffee and while I'm waiting I'm waiting for it to brew I grab a protein bar out of the cupboard. I literally would die without these protein bars. They're so yummy and surprisingly fulling. I peel off the wrapper and take a large bite off it and..... "Ouch!!!" A stabbing pain ripples through my jaw. I immediately spit the protein bar out and sit down at my kitchen table while holding my jaw. I knew what was wrong. As much as I wanted to deny it, I simply cannot. One word, cavities. It's true, I haven't been doing the whole adulting thing very well. It's been at least three years since I've seen the dentist and I have purposefully been avoiding it. I have never had a cavity before and I was hoping that I would just be one of those lucky people who just never gets one. Well, I'm 30 years old now and my luck has finally run out. The pain is still so bad. I knew I had to make an appointment ASAP. I grabbed my laptop and started googling the local dentists. I found one that's just two blocks down the road with pretty good reviews. I decided to give them a call and a very enthusiastic women answered the phone.
"Thanks for calling the Family Dental office. This is Jenny, how may I assist you?!
I replied, "errmm, um, Hi. My name is Penny Dyer and I would like to make an appointment."
"Okay! Great! Will it be for a check up?"
I hesitantly say, "Um yeah I guess so, I think I might have cavities..."
"Oh no! Well Dr. Taylor actually had a cancellation for his last appointment today at 4, I could pencil you in for then?"
"I guess that could work..."
"Great! We will see you then!
After hanging up with the receptionist, I though to myself that I need to mentally prepare myself for this appointment. A part of me, actually all of me, was ready to run for the hills...