Get Your Head In The Game

It was Wednesday. The worst day of the week. Why? It was basketball day in gym class. Every Wednesday, the class would play basketball and pick their teams. Connor always ended up on "the freak team", who always lost since those kids had broken bones or some sort of disability. It wasn't fair. Everyone was so biased.

Connor walked into gym class, his head down. He put his messenger bag covered in pins near the door. Then he joined the line of students, most of them looking bored, miserable, or both. He was included in the both.

A boy found a place in the line next to Connor. He had light brown, kinda honey colored hair. His blue eyes looked down at the floor and his arms were wrapped around himself. It was Evan Hansen, the boy who never spoke up. He would always stutter when the teacher called on him and barely said a word in group presentations. Yet, he was a smart kid. Connor knew enough about mental disorders and stuff after being confused about his mental health. He figured Evan had social anxiety. Plenty of people did.

Connor liked Evan. Not just as a friend (they never talked anyways), but as a crush. He really liked the other boy. Sadly, Evan had eyes on Zoe, Connor's sister. He even came to her jazz band performance. Connor sometimes hated Zoe for that, but there was nothing he could do about it. Evan was straight. There was no changing that.

The teams were picked. As usual, Connor was one of the last ones picked, and nobody even said his name, they just pointed at him. Whatever. He was a horrible person anyways.

When the game began, all Connor could think about was Get'cha head in the game from High School Musical. Zoe had made him watch it once. That was a long time ago, when they actually got along. He didn't get along with his family anymore. He wished he could, but it was just impossible. His parents were assholes and refused to acknowledge his situation. His sister was ignorant and had stolen Evan from him. Well, she didn't exactly steal him. Evan didn't belong to him and he never would. He wasn't a possession, he was a person. Connor stopped letting his mind wander. It would just make it worse. Then again, who cared?

The coach blew his whistle and the game started. Connor slowly walked around the court, not bothering to play the game. It was stupid anyways. Then he saw Evan playing. He was following the taller kids with the ball, nearly tripping over his own feet. Connor sighed and walked over to them.

They ignored him as they ignored Evan. To them, he was short, useless, and a waste of space. Thankfully, Connor was a little taller and definitely had more of an attitude. He sprinted in front of the pair, using his long legs to his advantage even though they were weak since he never exercised.

He took the ball and ran to the other side of the court, opposite team members chasing him. They were determined to win and didn't think the other team would put up a fight for once. He tossed the ball towards the net, missing the shot. He recovered and grabbed the ball after an effort and tossed it again. This time, he made the shot. It zoomed into the net, making Evan smile and the other kids look up with a little interest. Connor Murphy, the outcast, had just scored.

A few of the other kids ended up joining in, but it wasn't much help. The opposing teams still ended up winning 5 to 2.

Connor walked over to his bag and slung it on his shoulder, ready to go to lunch and sit by himself, eating nothing. Then he looked at Evan. Evan was looking at him, shaking a little. Maybe he wanted to say something but couldn't. That happened a lot with people who had social anxiety, right?

Connor walked up to Evan. "Are you trying to say something to me?"

"Thanks." Evan muttered. "I...Uh... You did really well out there. I.. I didn't think you'd play."

Connor shrugged. "It's just how the game works."

He continued the walk to the lunchroom.

***

Evan walked into the bathroom, glad to leave the overly loud lunchroom. It was annoying and horrible in there. He looked in the mirror and checked to see if there was food in his teeth. While doing so, he heard a sob. Evan looked around. It was coming from the occupied stall. Evan wanted to leave, he couldn't help that person. Then he recognized the boots of the person. It was Connor Murphy.

"Hey," He stood near the stall. "Connor, are you okay?"

"Go away," Connor growled. "I don't want to talk."

Evan wanted to obey Connor, but he couldn't. Connor was crying in the bathroom, he had to help him. He couldn't just leave him like that

"No," Evan whispered. "I want to help. Please talk to me."

Evan heard a groan from the other side of the door and the lock opening. Connor emerged, his head down and one sleeve carelessly rolled down with the other up, exposing scars.

"Connor!" Evan gasped. "Don't hurt yourself."

"Why do you care?" Connor retorted.

Evan's heart beat faster. Should he admit it? Probably not. Connor would most likely make fun of him or beat him up. He could tell the principal if that happened though. This was a hard choice.

"Because I like you," Evan replied. "And no one deserves to disappear."

Connor looked up at Evan, his eyes red. "Really? Is this some sort of cruel joke?"

Evan shook his head. "I really do like you."

Connor smiled a little, the corners of his mouth turned up. "Good, because I like you too."

He reached out and hugged Evan. Evan didn't like being touched much, but he accepted the hug. Anything to make Connor feel better. They pair stood in the bathroom for a while, embracing.

Connor cried. "Thank you."

This oneshot shows a more toxic version of Connor than in others, it's more like he was in the musical, not the fandom. The others won't be like this.