Chapter 1

Willow's P.O.V.

On one of the rare days that North was alone in his workshop, I dropped in to hang out with him. We were in his personal workshop, both doing our own thing. North was humming to a Russian song coming from his radio, very aggressively might I add. At this point, I was used to it so I basically ignored him while I did some wood-whittling. My legs were propped up on North's very large work table and I leaned back into my chair as I whittled.

North was carving something out of a large chunk of ice. I shouldn't have been surprised when I saw him use a chainsaw to cut through it. I rolled my eyes at his antics and smiled. "Still waiting for cookies!" North said, not taking his eyes off his work. I glanced up at what was supposed to be his plate of cookies, only to see his elves eating and licking them. I scrunched my nose up in disgust. Welp, I can forget eating those now.

North had finished carving a miniature train out of a separate piece of ice. Without looking, North grabbed a cookie and I was silently praying it wasn't one that had been licked. North hummed in delight and watched his toy train run on the tracks he had created. He giggled happily like a child and I couldn't help but smile. No matter how old he gets, he still acts like a giant child. "Willow, would you like a cookie?" North asked, motioning to the plate without even looking at it. One of the elves had spit out bits of cookie and stared off into space. I just shook my head and smiled at him. There was no way I would ever eat a cookie off of that plate.

A moment later, North's Ice train sprouted wings and began to fly off the track. And not even a second later, a yeti opened the door and smashed the train. North gasped in sadness and the yeti covered his face and gasped in worry. I chuckled at their multiple gasps that went back and forth. "How many times have I told you to knock!?" North exclaimed, finally finding his voice. The yeti began to babble in a language that I didn't know. "The globe?" North asked a worried look appearing on his face. He quickly grabbed his sword and I abandoned my whittling project on his desk and followed after him, grabbing my staff as I went. We walked through the horde of elves that had gathered around the globe. They were looking around worried. "Shew with your pointy heads. Why are you always under boot?" North said as we pushed through them.

North pushed aside two yetis aside who were by the control panel, making room for him and I. We were staring at the globe as some of the lights were flickering. "What is this?" North asked. "Have you ever seen anything like this before?" I asked worriedly, tightening my hold on my staff. "No. Have you checked the Axis? Is Rotation balanced?" North replied, turning to the yetis. They made a noise that sounded like 'I don't know'. Out of nowhere, the wind started picking up and what looked like black sand enveloped the globe. It moved off the globe and a figure appeared. It laughed maniacally as it moved. "Can it be?" North mumbled.

"Pitch." I said through gritted teeth. North's eyes widened and he turned to four elves. "Dingo. Make preparations. We are going to have company." And with that, the elves scurried around. North turned a handle which engaged the Northern lights. I took this time to gather my things and hide in the shadows. North knew that I wouldn't leave at a time like this and he knows I don't want to be seen unless I absolutely had to.

As time passed, one by one the other guardian's arrived at the North Pole. "This better be good North." Bunnymund said, clearly annoyed. "Sandy, thank you for coming." North said, completely ignoring and walking past Bunny. He really needs to stop ignoring people who speak to him. I put my hand over my mouth containing my laughter. Tooth came rambling to her mini-fairies. Sandy created glyphs out of sand above his head telling North that he was busy and that there is a lot of work to do. "I know, I know, but I obviously wouldn't have called you all here unless it was serious." He said to Sandy and the others. By this time the other guardians circled around the skylight where Manny would speak to us. Tooth was trying her best to shush her mini-fairies. "The boogie man was here at the pole." North said sternly.

"Pitch? Pitch Black? Here?!" Tooth exclaimed, her eyes widening at the news. "Yes! There was black sand covering the globe." North replied, motioning to the globe.

"What, what....what do you mean black sand?" Bunny asked, confused. It was kind of cute. My eyes widened at that thought. What the hell, why would I think that? By the time I looked back to the other guardians, North and Bunny were fighting, Tooth was back to giving orders to her fairies and Sandy was floating there confused. Tooth flew between Bunny and North without realizing it. "Tooth! Can't you see we're trying to argue?" I rolled my eyes. What an idiot.

"Sorry, not all of us get to work one night a year. Am I right, Sandy?" Tooth asked, smiling down at the sandman. Sandy began to make a glyph pointing at Manny, trying to get their attention but failing. Tooth didn't listen, she just kept babbling on to her fairies. Sandy had enough of it and used an elf to make noise. All of the other Guardians turned to him. He then pointed to the moon. "Aah! Man in Moon! Sandy, why didn't you say something?" North asked. I repeat, what an idiot.

Sandy just deadpanned as sand smoke shot out of his ears. I feel the frustration, Sandy. "It's been a long time, old friend! What is big news?" North asked, looking up at Manny. In the center of the room, Manny shows a picture of Pitch. The Guardians looked stunned. "It is pitch." North pats his belly and gives Bunny a look. What did I miss? "Manny what must we do?" North asked. Soon a pillar rose from the floor showing a large crystal at the top of the pillar.

"Ah, guys, what does this mean?" Tooth asked, looking around frantically. "He is choosing a new Guardian!" North said in excitement and aw. "Please not the groundhog. Please not the groundhog." Bunny pleaded, crossing his fingers. Then a flash of light, a hooded figure with a staff appeared. "Jack Frost." North stated, surprised. The Mini-Fairies swooned and I smiled. Good choice Manny. "Ah, I take it back! The groundhog's fine!" Bunny said, trying to reverse his wish.

Then after the pillar returned to the floor, another picture formed on the floor. I couldn't see it from where I was because North was blocking it. I heard him sigh. "Wait, who is that?" Bunny asked, furrowing his brows. "Okay, come on out Willow." I raised my eyebrow, really Manny? This is how you want me to be introduced. I sighed and sank into the shadow I was hiding in and rose up through North's shadow. My back was to his and I was out of sight for the moment.

I tapped on his back telling him I was there but didn't speak. North took that as the 'ok' to speak. "Have you all heard of the spirit of Halloween?" North asked the others. "Yes." They all said. Except for Sandy of course. I think he just nodded, but I can't see. "I would like you to meet Willow. The Guardian of Imagination." I walked out from Behind North and looked at all the shocked faces before me. I simply waved at them and smiled. This was very awkward. 

Written - January 27th, 2019

Edited - August 20th, 2022