Chapter fifteen

You know, most times authors know the readers that genuinely love their book(s), so I'm going to be dedicating this chapter to Kayla_fa and Liber_Tee for loving this book. It means a lot to me.

***

I sure as hell know that nothing prepared Peter for the resounding slap he got when he opened the door. I, for one, was also taken aback and immediately, my body was taut on the chaise lounge I was sitting on. Peter held his right cheek that had just been hit and a light skinned woman, who was dressed in a pink cooperate suit, a black stiletto heels and a black rimmed glasses perched on the bridge of her nose, walked into the house. She looked quite classy and awash in rage, I must add.

"Good afternoon ma." I mumbled nervously. I didn't know what time of the day it was— whether afternoon or evening. All that mattered was that I greeted the grim looking woman. I couldn't help but wonder who she was.

She paused in her steps and turned to look at me with a sneer, and then she averted her eyes to Peter. Nodding her head, her mouth curved in a scowl as she brushed past him and strutted upstairs, her heels clacking with the tiled floor. I caught a whiff of her perfume. I must confess, it was pleasant, but the tension that came with her presence wasn't. The question that bugged my mind at the moment was: who was this woman? Could she be Peter's mum? If she was, then she looked so different from her wedding picture.

I watched silently as Peter closed the door and bounced upstairs, with a frown on his face, leaving only me downstairs. What was I going to do now? I fiddled with my fingers and looked around the silent house awkwardly.

"Will yuh shut the hell'ap!" I jolted as I began to hear shouts from upstairs. "I don't wanna hear any flimsy explanation! I thought I made myself clear before leaving that you shouldn't turn on the diesel gen except in the evening, but no, yuh wouldn't listen, because you're nat the one buying the diesel. Plus I remember telling yuh that I don't want any visitor in ma house while I'm gone but yet again, yuh flouted my rules. I guess you're boss now. Yuh don't heed to instructions anymore. Yuh think you've grown wings that yuh can jus' do as yuh please! Well not in my house. I won't take that, Peter. Yuh hear me, I won't! By the way, who's that girl and what's she doing in ma house?" The woman spoke loud enough that I could hear every word clearly.

I vividly remember asking Gbemi earlier on if Peter was staying with his parents and she told me he was. If indeed he was, then his mum was apparently strict.

"Uh mum, we're both partners for a school project which would be due on Monday, so she just came to the house for us to do it together." Peter's voice sounded a bit hushed and higher than usual. That's what happened when you're with your parents. You lose your cocky side.

"So yuh guys had to do ya school project in ma house!" She yelled. Did I mention she had a black American accent? "What happened to the school? Why didn't yuh both do it there. Because yuh wanna fuck her, that's why yuh brought her to ma house, right?"

I grimaced as I heard her strong use of verbal language. For that, I became twice as uncomfortable and I had the urge to leave immediately, but I just wanted to let Peter know first before doing that, which was the only reason I was still in the house.

I didn't hear Peter's response but I could guess what it was from his mother's preceding statement.

"What d'yuh mean no! Then why didn't yuh both do it in school?"

Once again, his response was inaudible.

"Well that's ya business! I don't want her in my house. She's not welcomed, so please tell her to leave!"