Chapter 13- Brittany

"Alex hasn't called or talked to me in two days!" I complained to Kate that night. It was Friday, and he hasn't made any attempt to speak to me.

"Brit, I'm sure he's just busy." She assured me, painting her toenails with my nail polish. I decided to ask her to come over after I realized that Alex was ignoring me.

"That was his excuse the other day." I rolled my eyes and curled up on my bed. "He works at a mechanic shop, what else could he do?" I snapped. Then I thought the worst. "What if he's cheating on me, Katie?" I said quietly.

"He has friends too, Brit. And he's not cheating. I promise." She looked at me. "You could call him and ask to hang out, but you called me instead. Maybe he's waiting for you." She handed me my phone.

"I've already called him twice today." I said, taking my phone. "I don't want to seem overbearing." She rolled her eyes at that.

"You never know." She rolled to her feet. "Let's go out tonight." She walked to my closet, pulling clothes out.

"Uh, where?" I sat up and watched her. She turned around.

"Somewhere fun. Maybe Edgerton? I hear they have a kick-ass club there now." She pulled out a sparkly dress that I had and held it up to her body. "Well?"

"I don't really want to go out. We can walk to Valentino's." I suggested. She shrugged and put the dress back.

"That's good too. I'm hungry." She said, sliding her shoes on. I pulled on a pair of dark-wash skinny jeans and pulled a blue tie-front cardigan on that went to my mid-thigh and slid my ballet flats on.

"Ready?" She asked, and we walked down my stairs. My mom was standing in the foyer, watering the plants.

"Going out?" She turned around, surveying us.

"Yeah, do you care?" I asked, tying my cardigan.

"No, just don't get into trouble." She shook her finger at me, smiling and walking away. Kate turned to me when we were outside, walking down the sidewalk.

"She's being oddly weird, lately." She observed.

I shook my head, agreeing with her. "I know, it's weird." We walked a little farther, talking about cheerleading when we heard a car behind us. I turned my head slightly around, looking at the car with tinted windows, following us.

"Don't turn around, but that car is following us." I said, and she started walking faster. "Slow down!" I said.

"They're probably just lost." I assured her, and that seemed to calm her down. We walked quietly until the car passed us by, speeding.

"Phew. That was creepy." She stated, and I couldn't help but agree. We got to Valentino's, but the tables were full, we noticed from the window. So we decided to turn around and walk around some more.

"So, are you pumped for the game this Friday?" She asked, jumping up and down.

"Yes! We get to perform the whole halftime show." I said, laughing with her. Sometimes it sounded cliche and superficial and dumb-blondish when I got excited about cheerleading, but it was something I was truly passionate about. 

We walked so far, we didn't realize that we had reached the outskirts of town. Which wasn't a big deal, it was only about two miles from my house.

"We're so close to Edgerton!" Kate said. "Can we just go to the club?" She asked, clapping her hands together as if she were praying.

"It's still six miles away. You really want to walk that far?" I asked her, raising my eyebrow. She thought for a moment.

"We can hitch." She finally said, making me laugh out loud.