Chapter 3-Brittany

Everything was fine until Alex stepped in front of me. His friends snickered. I felt Katie stiffen beside me.

"Can I help you?" I asked, trying not to feel intimidated by his deep black eyes.

"No, el bebé." He replied, earning more laughs from his gang friends.

"Brit, let's just go in the back." Katie whispered from my side.

"Afraid of me, chica?" He stepped closer, which made me and Katie step back at the same time.

"No...you're just standing in my way." I stood taller, but it wasn't enough, because my forehead was level with his chin. He was a good six inches taller than me.

I looked around. We were drawing a small crowd; on his side, gangbangers, and on mine, other kids like me.

He noticed me looking around. "Gettin nervous, chica?" He said, leaning closer. "¿Miedo?"

I didn't know what he said, but that didn't stop me. "Just move." He laughed at my feeble attempt to threaten him.

"Or what? You gonna stab me with your nail file?" His friends laughed even harder, making my face flush with embarrassment.

"I just might."

"Brittany." Kate chided in a whisper.

"Then get in line, chica, cuz' you and about ten other people want to make a permanent mark on me." He looked and sounded serious, making my eyes widen. My gaze fell onto his gang tattoo, which was barely peeking out of his shirt sleeve. I wondered how many scars he had under that shirt?

He noticed that I was staring at it. "If you want the full view, just ask." His lips twitched; he wanted to smile.

"No thanks." I tried to move past him, but he grabbed my elbow, making me swivel around to meet his gaze.

"You will sooner or later." He whispered, his breath sending shivers down my neck and arms.

He let go of my arm and stood back by his friends. Kate and I hurried away quickly so no one else would see my red face.

"What the hell was that, Brittany?" Kate screeched when we reached my locker.

"Nothing."

"Nothing? Alex Cruz was practically flirting with you! You can't be seen with him ever again, Brit, okay?"  She looked at me with her wide innocent eyes.

"I won't!" I reassured her, watching the smile come back on her face.

"Good. It's settled. Now what happened over the summer with Bret?" She leaned against my locker, eyeing me.

I stiffened at the sound of his name. Bret and I hadn't talked since I had found out that he had made out with some tramp in the Hamptons two months ago. I mean, we'd talked and stuff, but I wasn't sure where I wanted to go with him.

"Nothing?" She asked.

"We still haven't talked. He says he was drunk." I said.

"Oh, puh-lease." She rolled her eyes. "He's saying that so you wouldn't think that he was a lying, cheating bastard." She had a point. I mean, he was drunk, but I still thought that he could have said no.

"Are you gonna talk to him?" She asked, twisting her hair.

"Maybe." I shrugged, closing my locker just as Alex and his gang passed. Kate rolled her eyes at them, and I crossed my arms. That recieved low wolf whistles from some of the younger gang members.