Two

It was almost night time, the sun was going down and the boys still had a couple more papers. I've seen newsies on the street and I've just ignored them, but now i see they actually work hard i mean they are living off of selling newspapers. I learned more about jack and crutchie, they are nicer then I expected.

"Hey you wanna try?" Jack asked as he handed me a newspaper. "What do i do?" I ask, "Well you's go's up to dem and ask if they want a pape." He said. I saw a lady walking a thought i should give it a shot. "Hello miss, would y-you like a pape?" I ask, i was nervous because I usually don't talk to strangers because i don't go out of my house that often. "Oh um, no thank you." She said. Jack came up to me and snatched the paper out of my hand.

"Here's how you do it." He said as he was walking up to a man. "Extra, extra, women goes missin' , read all about it!" Jack says to the man, but He doesn't say anything and walks off.

Jack comes but to me and crutchie and we're both giggling. "And thats how you do it huh? What page is that even on?" I ask. "Page 4." Jack says. "It says women's DOG goes missing, not her. You just lied! You lied straight to that mans face!" I say. "Settle down he didn't even want it, and you knows sometimes you hafta Stretch the truth a lil bit." Jack says.

We finally get to where they stay, they call it the lounging house. We walked down stairs to a little room with a lot of boys. "Delilah, this is specs, Albert, Elmer, Mush, JoJo, Buttons, Smalls, Romeo, Mike, Ike, kid blink, oh yeah and Race." Jack said.

Well thats a lot of names to remember. "Hi, I'm Delilah." I said, I'm still getting used to saying Delilah and not Adele. After that i heard a million, "Hi's." "Well where did you's come from?" Someone asked as jack hit him with his elbow, i think his name was JoJo. "She was on a bench and she says she has no where to go, so we's thought why not joins us!' Crutchie said.

"Here del, you's can sleep here. Does anyone have extra or old clothes she can use?" Jack asked as i sat on the bunk jack said I could use. "I do!" Someone said, he was the one above my bunk, i think Race. "Here, this doesn't fit me anymore." He said as he handed me the clothes, i thanked him and headed to the bathroom.

Good thing it fit or else I would have to sell papers in my dress. I walk out and everyone is doing their own thing, but I couldn't find jack or Crutchie. I asked someone and they said they where on the roof, had no clue what that meant but i tried to find the roof, I finally did and i saw jack and Crutchie.

"Hi!" I say and i walk over to where they where. "Hiya Delilah!" Crutchie said. "Ok, you gots to have a newsie name." Jack said, whats wrong with my name, well...my fake name. "Lilah. Your newsie name is lilah." Jack said, he's supposedly big on 'newsie names' as he calls them. "Ok?" I say confused. "Soooo, what is everyone like?" I ask. "Oof well, most of them's are flirts or all of them's. They are all uh how do i's put this? Definitely not lazy." Jack said. "That one boy uh, Race! He seemed not flirty or 'not lazy'. He was calm or confused, i really don't know." I say.

"Pfft, Race? He's flirty and outgoing and have a lot of.....ENERGY! thats what he has a lot of. But tonight, he seemed kinda like uh struck by something." Jack said. Weird, sometimes i don't even know why theses guys are even talking about.

"Hey jack! How bout' you tell lilah Here about you's big dream!" Crutchie says. "Oh Santa Fe? Uh sure" jack said turning around from his legs dangling off of the building like he was about to tell us a campfire story like we where little kids.

"They say 'folks is dyin' to get here.' Well me I'm dyin' to get away, to a little town out west that spankin new." He says with a smile.
"And while i ain't ever been dere, i can see it clear as day. If you want i bet you you's could see it too."
"Close your eyes, come with me, where it clean and green a pretty, and they went and made a city out of clay." He says and he stands up and looks out towards all of the buildings.
"By the minute that ya get there folks will walk right up and say, welcome home son, welcome home to Santa Fe." He says with a big smile.
"Plantin' crops, splittin' rails, swappin' tales around the fire, oh 'cept for Sunday when you lay around all day." This place sounds amazing, its not hustle and bustle all around the city.
"Soon your friends are more like family and they's beggin' you's to stay, ain't that neat. Livin' sweet. In Santa Fe." Jack ends off his speech and looks back at us. "That sounds beautiful." I said.

"Trust me it will be. In a year me and Crutchie are plannin' on going there, you can come along if you's like." Jack said. "Sounds Great!" I said. I just met these people today and now i just agreed about going across the country with them.

"Now lilah, tell me about you's." Jack says, Crutchie fell asleep nd we are still on the roof or jacks 'penthouse'. "Well my mother left when i was only 3. I used to have a brother but he went missing when we where 4, and my father died a year ago and uh my aunt had been talking care of me until she kicked me out." I said or lied whatever you what to call it, my father didn't die and I have no aunt, I didn't want to tell jack because I didn't want something to happen. "My moutha' left when i was 3 too." Jack said. "What a coincidence. When your birthday?" I ask, i ask everybody when their birthday is. "Uh June 17, Turnin' 17, why?" He asks.

"Well first of all i ask everyone that, and second of all, THATS MY BIRTHDAY TOO!" I yell/whisper so i don't wake up Crutchie. "WHAT YOU'S JOKIN." He says in the same tone."No I'm not jokin! I'm also turnin 17!" I say as we both laugh. "We's should probably go back, down there's." Jack said as he lifts up Crutchie.

Me and jack walk down the stairs to the room with all of the beds. "Goodnight." Jack whispers. "Goodnight." I reply back. i craw into the bottom bunk and close my eyes and wonder what tomorrow will bring.

WHOAH 1205 WORDS! Thats a lot of words. Hope you enjoyed that chapter!
Tell me what you think in the comments!