Chapter I: Egg?

"Gunther! What're you doing over there? Come Quickly, boy!"

The boy scuttled towards me from behind a bush, "Sorry, ma'am. I was looking for an egg. My friends said that there're wild ones right around here."

"Friends, huh?" I rolled my eyes "Gunther, you should know that wild eggs are very rare in this realm. That is why you are going to choose one from one of our nurseries," my eyes slightly widened at the thought of him bursting into one of his fits of uncontrollable excitement as I quickly added, "Um, ah- after you finish all of your requirements first, of course," I waved at him as I digressed, "Never mind that," I said, "you need to focus on what we're doing today. You will get your egg soon enough." I started walking towards the stables, waving him to come along.

"I'll never get one."

I stopped, "What do you mean? Of course you will."

"Well," he paused, "You don't even have yours yet and look at how big you are!"

Why is this little kid crushing his own dreams? Sheesh.

"Look, we get an egg when we are ready for that kind of-" I paused, trying to think of a simpler word for 'responsibility'. "-special friend."

"When will I be ready?"

"You will know when you are ready," I added, "either that or the guards will kick your butt out of the front gates" I smirked at the thought of him getting denied. I know, I know, I'm awful. Bite me.

In all realness though, I am at the point where most everyone my age has already gotten their hatchlings. And the boy is right- I indeed, haven't. I'm the odd ball out. And considering most recipients of hatchlings acquire them when they are as young as Gunther is, it really rubs me the wrong way when he whines about it all the time. I can't help not feeling sorry for him though, ya know? So yeah, I'm a bit salty about that.

He huffed and scuttled towards me as we continued to the stables and tacked up. I had just spent most of my coin buying a new gelding, and I'm now going to use every excuse I can to ride him. He's a beautiful creamy buckskin color with slight dappling down the length of his back. He also has a jet-black mane, tail, muzzle and socks. My dream horse, really.

Gunther has a donkey.

As you've probably already figured out, Gunther, is my pupil- or, student if you will. Clearly this little boy doesn't think much of me at times even though I'm his superior and have been alive significantly longer than he. Then again, he doesn't take many things too seriously, except for obtaining his precious 'special friend' and inevitably becoming the most famous knight to ever roam the seven realms. Right.

I was put in charge of taking care of this little brat as one of my own quests- to ultimately teach the young the ways of dragons. Well, the basics of the ways of dragons, to be fair. I guess this wouldn't be a quest at all if it wasn't difficult. And as always, Gunther doesn't fail to test my patience.

"So, now that you've properly completed your pre-questing lessons, you are finally going to start your first real quest!" I said in a sarcastic tone; even adding a little jazz of the hands for added effect (I was clearly not enjoying what was supposed to be my only day off with this creature of a boy). Gunther so innocently responded to my lack of enthusiasm with... you guessed it, jittery enthusiasm. Ugh...

"YES YES YES! I will become the GREATEST DRAGON knight there ever was!" his beady black eyes sparkled behind his dirty blonde hair as he mounted his donkey and jousted his wooden sword into the air.

I sighed, "Alrighty. Let's get a move on then." He hollered as he kicked his donkey in the gut until it squealed and darted off into the forest. "Gunther!?"

What. The hell.

****I plan to make this chapter longer, but would like opinions on it first? if you like, comment or hit that vote button! Thanks!****