II

A large tree stood between two children. Both sat back against the all to familiar wall of oak while eying nature's results. Today felt odd. A hint of something out of the norm cloaked the air itself, back then both shared their space without so much as one exchange in word. A fact that remained true for weeks as both returned again and again. At most a meeting in eyes before taking their places on each side of the tree, but today was different, a beginning of sorts. Astral could feel it, his small brown sandals dangling near the edge of the hill, where below a always sparkling lake waited with calm waves, stretching ahead as flocks of red and orange birds circled the body of water above. And at his right where squirrels, foxes and dear slept, and wandered upon the land's healthy grass just before the lake's beauty began. Here was a safe zone of sorts, a location where all were welcomed, regardless of what or who. A place Astral had deemed very interesting since his first visit, which was so long ago he could barely remember the details. At the body of water's center sat a isle of land, decorated with trees and life of it's own.

"Hey," said the boy on the other side of the tree. Astral turned his head to the side, offering his attention. A breeze came. Blowing the branches above up and down as a trail of live and dead leaves leaped through the air, passing them down the hill.

"When you sleep, what do you dream of?" Astral's sight slid back below. He'd lost interest in wondering why Angel repeatedly asked the question, and why he would wait three, four, sometimes seven visits to ask again.

"Nothing," Astral replied, like always. "That sounds horrific," Angel added. Astral couldn't help but give in to a short laugh. Across the water, past his then larger pair of footwear, a lone bird caught his eye, black and still. "What about you?" The boy also watched the water, wrapping along the land they sat upon. Though his side couldn't escape the sun's light, only the fall of leaves. "I don't." Astral raised his chin to the cloudy sky. "How poetic."

Susan laid sideways when she woke from her slumber, a oddity for sure. It was rare indeed she slept in such a posture, but as of now she thought nothing of it while assuming a issue developed with the bed. But she soon felt her senses scramble when noticing the subtle differences; no pillow, no alarm, no snoring, no light pulling her eyes wide from her left. Quickly she attempted to open her eyes, hoping she was mistaken. But almost instantly she grew reluctant, the light was now repositioned ahead. And it hit her hard, digging through her skull, momentarily blinding her right eye while also confirming her fears. It was real, and the side effects had already latched onto her withered body.

A door opened and shut, footsteps began before a wave of silence took hold. Lingering a moment too long for comfort. "Is she okay?" Someone said in a whisper, clearly a woman. "She'll be fine," said the young man. His voice stern but warm, always reminding her of the sky at it's calmest state. There aren't many people that could make her feel so safe so quickly. But his was without doubt one of them.

"No more excuses, Crow, you need to tell me why this is happening, now!" A stomp followed the woman's low outrage. The one called Crow only raised his hands in surrender with half a smile. "I've told you, she's just growing too fast."

"She's been unconscious for three days!"

"And when she wakes, she'll feel so refreshed."

The woman cracked a small smile while still holding her look of worry. Letting a long exhale out as she eyed him up and down. "Crow," she said, rubbing her forehead. A easy tell when the woman was building on top her pile of stress. "Rakma, lend me strength. Oma my fortitude, you and your secrets are going to drive me crazy." A tear fell from under the hand that covered her strong blue eyes. "Just—just promise me something."