III

The morning after Sue awoke felt fairly slow. Crow sat on the roof of Ms. Clarke's home, watching the dark sky hover over Lafeya. He opened the small journal he held with a careful grip, it's skin matching a ageless sand. Sue's question had been on his mind from morning to night and morning again. Thankfully so. He knew her and Megan sometimes hid their bright minds, her especially. And in some cases, the trait was just as true for friends as well as strangers. But her words yesterday, they were growing ... in more ways then one, and quicker then he wished.

His gaze lifted back ahead after watching the journal's blank pages fill without ink in hand. Although nothing more then a farm house when compared to any city of Idyll, and much less a capital, the beauty of this land was nothing less then overwhelming. The way sunlight grazed the lush green grass, the healthy oak trees stood at each corner of the village. Even if the number of crops grown each year was less then desired. There was something special about this place. No matter the time, it was always filled with kind people. No matter the burdens and hardships, they always stuck together. And because of that, some would see it as paradise. Especially compared to the outside world. Lucky or not, both were blind to one another. No one here really knows why or how. And Crow had noticed the young one's questions run dry about the topic some time ago.

Crow lowered back to the journal, where newly written words painted it's old pages as he flipped through. His thumb rubbing across the unnatural writing. He liked when they surprised him. It gave him something to think about. He was aware it was just a welcomed distraction, even when he pretended it wasn't. They had already surprised him so much by just existing, there's only but so much left they can do. But the small things, they still hit him just as hard. The small black bird that usually kept one of the girls company slipped out the window below and flapped it's wings until perched beside him. Chirping, glancing at Crow then ahead. Back and forth. The little one didn't have to go out of his way, he already knew.

Crow closed the journal with a edge of a smile. Like always, these welcomed distractions didn't last long. There were far too many reminders to keep his mind at bay.

"So, today is the day." It was almost seven in the morning and he was starting to find himself a little worried. The other, much larger bird still had yet to arrive and things were already progressing. He let out a short yawn before slowly climbing to a stand. Why not take a stroll while he waited and the village still slept. He took a step, finding no surface below, and began to fall. The wind rushing upward against his face until his feet planted into the ground. Crow rose from a squatting position, and took a moment to scope the sky again, then proceeded to walk down the dirt road with his hands in his pockets.

While Crow took some time to himself, Megan also roamed as an early bird to start the day. Since everyone felt Sue needed rest, despite her shining personality when waking from her long sleep, the white haired girl ended up sleeping alone in the bed they shared for the night. The gesture wasn't even planned or spoken of. Megan slept on the floor, wrapped in her own pair of blanket and covers, yet never once saw Astral or Crow the entire night, as usual. She made sure Sue didn't have a fever after detaching herself from her trap of cloth, and made her way outside the room and downstairs. By the time she stepped through the front door, the image of Sue engulfed with fear had already began to replay in her head. Along with questions, so many questions. Too many to organize in mind alone. She glanced above, the sky still a muddy black, even though the roosters had long since gave their call. As she started walking her eyes lowered to a particular area of dirt. She envisioned Crow holding Sue in silence. Calming the scared girl after franticly raving.

Megan's hands balled into fists. These were the final days she would allow ignorance be accepted. They had their way long enough. No more secrets, no more dodging, no more days wondering if today is the day. Her sight now aimed at her raised fist, which laid stretched open before she halted. Lingering for quite a bit of time, the center of her chest grew warm, and warmer—until a blue flame lit around her fingers. It's heat singing a quiet hum of warning, down to the beginning of her wrist.

A light laughter filled the air. "You have some nerve, little one," said the voice. Megan stiffened. She recognized the voice, but definitely not the owner. The young woman rotated, finding his eyes behind her. But he didn't return not even a glance. His grey eyes only held her palm in sight, which melted the darkness effortlessly. A palm that just a second ago only held a subtle blue flared as it expanded in size, bending behind her like a wide tail of blue fire.

As Crow walked through the soundless village, he took the time to view each stone made building to his left and right, whether it be seconds or minutes. Each one a annoying reminder of why he found himself in this situation. Maybe he was a fool. He looked ahead, feeling the pulse in his ears thumping over the light drift of wind, acting as a signal to guide his legs this far. Soon it's owner came within sight. The one he'd come to greet. It was a young boy, he wore black head to toe also, no hat, black bottoms, a brown coat just a few sizes too big and very familiar face. He was bent over organizing stacks of newspapers that laid on the ground near the fountain. At one time everyone used it as a meeting spot before the newer stores were built, children and adults since it stood at the center of the village. The boy turned around and greeted Crow with flair as if he could hear his silent steps. "Good morning mister, would you like a newspaper to start your day?"

Even the voice. Crow took a quiet breath through his nose and lips, already beyond annoyed. Do not take the bait. Crow smiled as he sat on the stone seat next to where the boy stood.

"Give me the juicy bits."