losing you.

A week passed. Kevin returned home after Laury's birthday... funeral. It wasn't really something he'd looked forward to going to, but, at least he got to see her and talk about her one last time. Lani was also really upset about what happened, after hearing the news a day after Laury's death. Lani was in her room, at her house. She was sad and bored, so she was shuffling around her room wondering what to do.

'Damn...' she thought. Kevin was a lot closer to Laury, but Lani was close enough to feel pain from losing her. She wanted to take her mind off such a depressing thought, so she reached over and grabbed her phone. A piece of paper flew out from the back of her phone. It was Alina's number. She had almost forgotten about it. She dialed the number, and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello?" Alina said, with her soft British voice.

"Hey, Alina. It's me, Kaelani. The tall brown girl from your school." Lani responded, half-jokingly.

"Oh! How could I forget about you? What's up?"

"I just need to get some things off my chest." Lani sighed a little bit. "Even though I don't know you that well."

"Go ahead. I'm willing to help out with anything."

"My friend Laury, who was my friend's best friend - girlfriend, I mean. She... she passed away last week, and... today's her birthday." Lani tried not to cry while speaking.

There was a long pause on Alina's end of the line. "Oh... I'm... I'm not sure what to say. That really sucks."

Lani sighed. "What am I thinking? I shouldn't be putting this stuff on you."

"It's fine, really. I genuinely feel bad for you. I hope you feel better soon."

Lani grinned. "Thanks. So, what are you up to?"

"Not much, really. Just sitting around being bored. I'm home alone. Hey, you should come over."

"Really?" Lani asked, in surprise. "You want me to?"

"Yeah, totally. It would be fun," Alina smiled. "I'll text you my address. See you soon, then."

-----

Lani walked up to Alina's front door, and gave it an audible knock. She couldn't believe that the cute girl she liked actually invited her over to her house.

The door opened, and Alina stood in front of Lani now. Her beautiful hair shined with the sunlight that poured into her house through the front door, and her vibrant green eyes sparkled. "Hey. Come on in." She shut the door behind Lani. Her house was just as beautiful as she was, with elegant designs and objects all throughout the large place.

"Nice house." Lani complimented.

"Thanks. It's just me living here with my mom."

"What about your dad?"

Alina began to walk upstairs, but stopped. "I'd... rather not talk about him right now." Lani felt bad for asking. She followed Alina upstairs, and they went into her room.

"Just out of curiosity," Lani thought for a second. "Why would you give me your number? I'm childish and annoying."

Alina scoffed quietly. "Just because I think you're cute."

Lani felt amazing. She was just complimented by someone who was absolutely out of her league. "Aww, thanks."

Alina was looking through her window, while Lani stood at her doorway. "I don't know how you'd like me as a friend, though."

"What do you mean?" Lani asked in confusion.

"I used to be the popular girl at Clearwater High. Everyone was so nice to me, until I changed. Now they act as if I don't even exist."