compromise.

"Laury, I don't know what to do. There's so many things going on now, and I'm involved in them." Kevin said, as he paced around the room.

"I wish I could help, Kev. But there's nothing I can do." Laury said.

"I know. I wouldn't want you involved, anyway. I don't even know him. I just saw him that one night when his sister randomly showed up at Alina's doorstep."

"Ask Lani if she knows anything about him. Her and Alina are the ones who found him, anyway. Right?"

"Yeah. Okay," Kevin continued. "I'll do that."

"I better get going. Tell me how it goes tonight, okay?"

Kevin smiled at her. "Alright."

Before he left his house, he shot Lani a text telling her to meet him at the grocery store. It was easier that way, so they didn't have to walk to each others' houses. Kevin could see Lani before he even walked inside the store. She was waiting for him in the parking lot. 

Kevin approached her quickly. "I am freaking out right now."

"Why?" Lani asked.

"I went out on a walk yesterday, only to find Roman there in a shady situation. What do you know about him?"

"Shady situation? What happened?"

"Just tell me what he was doing when you first confronted him. I want to know more about him. He's not who you think he is."

"I mean, I don't have a lot to tell you," Lani thought for a second. "He was very quiet and wore a hood. He's one of the quiet people at our school... now, can you tell me why you asked?"

"He's involved with some criminals. But I think he's in danger."

Lani looked somewhat confused. "Should we help him?"

"I want to. I really do."

"Well," Lani smiled. "Let's do it, then."

-----

"I don't understand," Roman said. "You two want to help me?" They were all sitting on a park bench. Lani and Kevin nodded. Roman laughed. "That means you'd but your life at risk. Ivan and Malakhov are dangerous. They had me do their dirty work. Stealing, drug dealing, giving people stolen weapons... and you want to help me? Wow."

Lani bit her lip. "From what you told me, you joined this gang to get away from your darkness. Right?"

Roman hesitated. "Yeah...?"

"How does that work out for you?"

"Good, I guess? Why, are you considering joining?"

Lani looked at Kevin, who shot her a look of disapproval. "Uh, no. It's not really something I would do, you know?"

Roman raised an eyebrow. "If you want to help me, but don't want to join, don't waste your time. You'd get yourself in a lot of trouble."

Lani bit her lower lip. "How much do you-"

Kevin stopped her, and pointed out to something unusual. Roman looked over and scrambled for words. "Shit. Guys, leave now!" They slowly stood up. "I mean it! Get the hell out of here!" Kevin and Lani were running now.

Roman turned in the direction of someone shouting. "Ro-maaaaaan... where are you?" He hid behind a bathroom at the park, and pulled something out of his jacket. He muttered under his breath and ejected from his cover.

"There you are, you lying cheater," Ivan said, with an angry tone. "You're coming with us."

"No," Roman said with assertion. He held up the gun he pulled out of his jacket. "I'm tired of this. You two are here to help me, not hurt me."