Scene Six

Elsie spent the next few weeks in a complete state. She couldn't concentrate at work and she cut herself off from friends and family. She even passed up the opportunity to go for birthday drinks with one of her old school friends. She didn't feel like doing anything much.

She tried not to keep checking Twitter, but she couldn't help it. Ever since that night, Lucas seemed to be putting more and more tweets and pictures up with Sophia. Every time Elsie saw a new picture or tweet, it felt like a stab through her heart. She was sitting at home living a life of misery while Lucas and Sophia were out at glitzy West End parties and fancy afternoon teas in honour of Wimbledon.

Two months had passed since that awful night and today was Elsie's birthday. Her youngest sister came knocking on the door at eight in the morning, her hands full of bacon rolls, coffee and a card. Elsie let her in, grumbling about how early it was to be woken up on her day off.

Anya, her blonde haired, blue eyed sister, completely ignored her and began to sing Happy Birthday at a very loud volume. She handed Elsie a card, a huge grin on her face.

Elsie gulped as she opened the card and two theatre tickets fell out.

"Happy birthday beautiful big sister! I couldn't help noticing that you've been a little down recently, so I got you the one thing I know you love."

Elsie stared at the two front row tickets for tonight's showing of 'Singing and Winning'.

"Anya... I... I can't accept these. It's too much."

Her sister shrugged.

"Too late. Get your glad rags on. We are going for dinner, then to the theatre and out drinking afterwards. We have a hotel that's all paid for. It's going to be amazing!"

Elsie really didn't know what to say. It was one of the loveliest things anyone had ever done for her. But she didn't know how she was going to get through the show.

She figured she had no choice but to sit through it, at least she wouldn't have to go to stage door. She found herself being dragged into the bedroom to pick out an outfit. It was warm out so she decided on a red and white checked halter neck dress. It would be suitable for dinner, theatre and drinks, and it was so mild that she didn't need a jacket. Anya packed her bag for the hotel while Elsie put her hair up in a bun, figuring it looked nice with the dress.

Soon enough, they were on their way to London. They checked into the hotel and then went for dinner at a posh Italian restaurant. Anya paid for the meal and the bottle of wine they shared.

Elsie was feeling somewhat light headed by the time they were taking their seats in the front row. She couldn't believe she was back here.

Just as she was about to turn her phone off, an urgent message from her boss showed up. It was ten minutes until show time so she quickly pressed the dial button and rang her number. Five minutes later she hung up, tears in her eyes, as she explained to her sister that the shop had been losing money fast and they had to close with immediate effect.

As if it wasn't bad enough that she had feelings for a man she barely knew and was being forced to watch him dance around on stage for the next few hours, she was now jobless. She was being sent her final wages at the end of the week, and a bouquet that she had probably made herself 'on the house'.

She had no idea what she was going to do now. She had only ever wanted to be a florist. She had put years of study into her craft and enjoyed making beautiful things. Although she studied psychology, it wasn't something she wanted to make a career out of. Suddenly, watching the show didn't matter now she faced the prospect of losing her flat and having no money.