The Deal

He glances back at her and sighs. "Human, now that you are rested and your mind is clear... do you wish to see the police?" He turns forward "I can tell you do not enjoy staying here."

"Oh no, I do enjoy it." She says near him. "I don't want to go to the police... I don't know what they would do and... I don't want to risk it..."

"You would risk staying with a demon in the woods but not the police? Human they are made to protect you."

"I trust you." She looks ahead. "There is no need to change anything. Carol... she... she doesn't deserve prison... and I haven't seen my father since i was two... They would take me to him..."

"...." he looks to the side "I haven't seen my father in a very long time..." he pauses "... is something wrong with your father....?"

"He works." She says through a sigh. "They all work because my grandad was in debt."

"What for...?" He looks confused and tilts his head to the side.

She chuckles. "He buys books. Almost mad because of his love for books."

"Thats an interesting debt..." he continues walking.

"He collected books. Ones that were worth a lot. Dad tried to persuade him to sell the books, but he refused." She looks to Morbus and she smiled. "I've met him a few times. He gave me several of his favorites."

"Then why don't you ask the police to send you to him...?" He raises an eyebrow.

"He lives in Iceland... and he has no room for guests. Unlike you, he prefers to be alone."

"Oh..." he looks forward "I see..."

"I don't want the police to get involved either..." she turns back to the path. "They don't have the money or time to deal with that."

"They do. It is their job to. But police men do not like me." He walks into the house.

"It costs money for courts. I was talking about my parents."

"Do they not deserve to go to prison?"

She goes silent. "...No."

"I am only going by what you said." Morbus comes out of the kitchen and holds a carmeled apple out to her "They are done."

She takes it and looks at it for a moment before smiling lightly. "Thanks."

"You're welcome." He walks to the kitchen to clean up the rest.

Silas takes a bite and hums in enjoyment. "Heavens these are good..."

He smiles a bit "I do not have a lot of food to make. I have a lot of practice with Carmel apples." He looks at her "I am glad you enjoy them."

"You know, if I didn't know any better, I would think I was dreaming..." she takes another bite, smiling.

He tilts his head confused "... Dreaming...?"

"Do you not dream? It's like... imagining while you sleep."

"... I have never done that before..." he pauses "How is this like a dream...?"

"It's... unbelievable... or it's good to the point of being not used to it." She tries to explain, eating more.

"All dreams are good?" He seems curious.

"Um... well there are bad ones. Those are nightmares." She continues to eat it, loving every bite.

"Nightmares...?" He sits down, watching her.

"Yeah... oh I know." She walks back and forth as she speaks, movement getting her thoughts cleared. "When you watch a play, you see a story unfold, right?"

He nods once, watching her pace. His eyes stay glued to her and he listens.

"Right, well when you dream, it can either be like you're acting in a play, or watching others in a play." She takes another bite, chewing slowly before swallowing. "Gosh these are good... anyway, you have no control over what happens, yet you get to go along for the ride." She pauses. "Well... at least I have no control in my dreams, like a puppet." She turns to him with a smile. "Some people can choose what happens or what they do."

He blinks at the word puppet and pauses. "... You mean like a movie? But in your head while you are asleep?"

"Uh, yeah! Exactly." She continues to eat the apple.

"Ah..." he thinks for a moment, watching her still "Humans are interesting... they do not make sense to me..."

"Oh trust me, no one gets humans. Not even us." She laughs a bit.

".... Human, I am willing to make you a deal..." he stands up slowly.

She finishes the caramel apple, holding it to the side. She looks to him. "A deal?"

"Indeed. I wish to learn more about emotions and humans, and you wish to stay safe, and perhaps learn about me." He looks at her "If you will teach me about humans... I will teach you about demons... and I will do as you wish..."

"Well... no need to do as I wish..." she rubs her neck lightly. "Heck if you ask I'd probably just tell you. But sure. Deal."

He grins. "Thank you for your agreement." He turns and walks out the door "I will be back soon. Stay inside the house or garden, and stay safe." He shuts the door.

"Sure thing." She smiles to herself as he left. She then goes up to the room she was in before. Looking at the backpack, she realized how little she brought with her. Silas sighs. "Good thing I work at Walmart..." she sighs.

******