Kindness Helps

Silas can see him hunched over, staring at the ground. His back is turned to her, and there is a small puddle of blood around him. He hears the door open and holds his head tighter.

She silently kneels behind him, debating what to do or say. She swallows and reaches out to tap his shoulder. She pulls back her hand and closes her eyes. She quickly wraps her arms around him in a hug, her words failing her.

He grunts when she does, and his eyes shoot open. He stares at the ground, and doesn't move. His breaking slows. He feels tense, and he smells like fabreez and death. Blood drips to her arms and fingers, falling to the floor as well.

"It... it will be alright this time..." she holds a bit tighter, being careful not to hurt him. She feels the blood on her jacket, shutting her eyes a bit tighter.

He glances back at her "... I've never been touched before..." his voice is soft and quiet.

She opens her eyes, looking to the side, not moving away. "Sh-should I...  not have?"

"No no... please do not be afraid..." his eyes turn a darker blue "It is just... new..." he takes a deep breath and let's it out slowly, more blood dripping on her.

She closes her eyes once more. "I wasn't asking out of fear..."

"... you are not afraid...?" He glances back at her again.

She shakes her head lightly. "I wanted to know if you didn't want me to touch you... I've already hurt you..."

He looks down at the puddle. He trembles a bit "... You didn't flee...?"

She holds a bit tighter. "No, I didn't."

He takes a deep breath, some chains against her and his scars easy to feel. "... So you wish to stay...?"

"Mhm." She opens her eyes again and looks to the side. "At least until I have to go. And then I'll come tomorrow." She mentally assesses the chains, the only thing in her mind is worry for him.

His eyes slowly turn yellow. He gasps and looks at his chest "W... what is that...?"

"Huh?" She pulls back to look at him. "What? Are you okay?"

"In my chest...." he places a hand to where his heart is "There was a.... Beat..." he looks down at it, blood dripping to his hand. "Did you..." his eyes are yellow.

She looks confused and curious. She smiles a bit and looks at his eyes. "They're yellow..." she looks down to where his hand was. "Do you know what this means or are you just as confused as I am?" She chuckles.

"Happy..." he smiles a bit and looks at her "I have felt happiness..."

She pauses and looks back up at him. She smiles. "Happiness." She hugs him again, laughing a bit. "That's brilliant!"

He jolts again and looks at her. "Yes. Happiness. I've never felt it before." He smiles slightly "It feels nice..."

She giggles and sits back. "I'm glad for you."

He looks at her "... You made me feel happy..." he looks at the puddle "I... I apologize for scaring you... let me explain..."

She nods a bit and smiles. "I overreacted and I'm listening."

His eyes go back to red "Human... I am what you call, 'superstition'... I am considered a villain among humans, and people fear me, or wish to study me. So, I keep to myself, in the forest... alone..." he looks at the blood again, blank of emotion.

She looks to it as well before placing a hand on his back. "Well... you're not alone anymore." She chuckles. "And you're supernatural, not quite a superstition."

"Is there difference...?" He jolts at her touch and looks at her.

She looks to the side. "A superstition is more of a belief... being supernatural is something being extraordinary." She shrugs, taking her hand back and folding them in her lap. "It doesn't really matter though.. I just hope you're okay... I mean, after all that you've been through and how they treated you..."

"Who? Humans?" He sighs and grabs the chains, gripping them tightly "... you need not apologize... it was not your fault..."

"Lo siento." She glances at the chains. "Did... did they put those on you?"

He hesitates then looks away, letting go. "... No..."

She notices his reluctance to talk about it. "Is there a way to get them off?"

He shakes his head "No. They can not be taken off. Humans have tried." He stands up slowly.

She nods. "I see..." her eyes glance to the puddle of blood and she sighs, standing as well. "...thank you."

He looks at her "... for what...?"

"For trusting me." She turns to him again and smiles gently. "At least enough to let me see you."

"...." he looks at the boarded window. "... it has stopped raining..."

She glances towards the window. "Has it? That's good."

"Yes. Now you may walk home." He stares at the blood.

"Right... I did promise I would..." she stands still for a moment. "You'll be alright?"

"Yes. I have dealt with this before." He walks to the rickety bed and sits down.

"Alright." She waves to him. "I'll see you later then." She sighs and turns on her heel and starts out the door, not wanting to disturb him any farther.

Morbus stares at the ground, his mind filling with thought. He thinks of Silas and how different she is. Then, when he hears the door downstairs shut, he lays down and tries to sleep.

*******

A/N: Awwww Morbus can feeelll