Chapter 7

(Sorry, the image above is really old (like 7 years old), and I'm currently trying to re-draw it. I've changed up both the females' looks since I drew this. None-the-less it still gives you all a basic idea of appearances.)

Chapter 7 - The Box Of Memories

My eyes snap open with a start, and I look around at my surroundings. I'm still in my bed with the sheets tightly tucked under me. There's no one to be seen.

What I witnessed doesn't make sense to me, not one bit. But the impact of it has ripped every ounce of wellbeing temporarily from my body.

With shaking hands, I grab the bed covers and fling them from over my legs, scattering then to the floor. I slip to the floor, feeling the cold chill in my feet again, reassuring my hat I am awake. In time I steady my heartbeat and slowly making my way to the door.

The steps leading to the hall seem to go on forever. The sounds of my feet hitting the ground are the only thing I hear, apart from the loud, steady thumps of my heart. I run my hand along the walls and feel the rough surface slowly numb my fingertips.

The cool breeze from the door ahead finally reaches me. It nips at my nose with an icy touch. I place my warm palm on it and heat the area. Sliding my fingers over my pallid face, I feel the turned down smile, and drooping eyelids of grief chiselled onto it. I slap my face twice with both hands and prepare myself for the awaiting chatter.

The hall of Fairytail is cold and for once almost entirely lifeless. The usual twittering of people is gone, the tricks from the mage's in the back are nowhere to be found. The only thing left is a select few people gathered around a table, lit only by a lantern the size of a football.

I walk closer, and the features of my favourite group of friends appear. When they notice my presence, Lucy is the first to get up and greet me with open arms. It's odd but welcomed. Usually, she would wave and offer a warming smile. But today is different.

"A parcel was found outside the guildhall today," Lucy explains.

"There was a letter attached to it," Gray says. " Addressed to you."

I lean to one side to peer over Lucy's shoulder at the table. Indeed there is an unopened box laying there with a letter propped up against it. Lucy lets go of me and leads us over to the table. She plops me down on the seat beside her. Overlooking the box at first, I reach for the letter and begin to read.

Dear Siara,

I know you have forgotten me by now and I don't blame you. After 40 years alone, who wouldn't? Though, a small part of me still hopes you do.

Attached to this letter is a box full of memories that you entrusted me to watch over. You told me 40 years from that day I would have to find you and give this to you. But, by the time this reaches you, my time will be up, so I send this off praying it finally reaches your eyes.

    I hope you have finally found peace wherever you are.

    Your friend,

"Marion...?" I question aloud. As the letter foretold, I have forgotten this name. No trace of memory comes rushing in, no ounce of meaning comes with it.

Placing the message down onto the table, I reach for the box. It's quite a hefty box even for its average size. The wooden container is lined with golden vines stretching over its dark surface. A lock with no keyhole adorns the front, and a single symbol is carved into the lid. The logo looks like two snakes, intertwined with each other in the form of two figure eights. Not even this triggers a memory.