Chapter 30

Jake woke just as dawn was about to break over the mountain peaks. Yawning he climbed over Valkyrie's tail and stepped over to edge of the escarpment. Closing his eyes, he took a deep breath and let himself relax as he relished the feeling of the cool morning air blowing over his face and bare chest.

Drawing on his non-existent Buddhism, he screwed up his eyes and attempted to meditate on the day ahead. He had a good idea of where to go, the problem was where and when to leave his new traveling companion. It was a dilemma that should've been easy, she wanted to pass a death sentence on him, so why shouldn't he pass the same sentence on her once she was no longer useful?

His shoulders slumped at the thought. He couldn't do that, it would be straight up murder and that just wasn't his style. Unfortunately that left him with the problem of her going back and telling them everything. His name didn't really matter, it didn't mean anything to anyone in this world. But he was worried that she might give them his connection to inn and Freya. He couldn't jeopardize them, he just wasn't sure what to do about it.

As he stood contemplating the future an all too familiar voice spoke in his ear. "I see that another little bird has flown to you for shelter."

Jake snorted in amusement. "I was wondering when you were going to show up" he said wryly, not bothering to open his eyes. "If by shelter you mean trying to kill or capture me and I caught her first, then you'd be much closer to the mark."

"There is more to people than just their stated goals" The goddess added. "You should be aware of that all too well."

Jake let out a sigh, opened his eyes, and turned to face the goddess. Sure enough, she had coalesced from a fine mist and was now hovering over Wyena, studying the young woman intensely.

"So, what kind of mystic vibes are you picking up from her?" Jake asked.

"Despite what you might think, I am an extraplanar being, not a psychic, but I think she has a good heart like yourself, she's definitely a product of her world and class towards those she considers beneath her, but she does have a true sense of honor. She just chafes against the restrictions and expectations that this world has placed on her just for being female" Tlaco said turning her attention back to Jake.

"You know how I feel about the nobility" he replied. "The ones here are even worse in their actions and more entitled than the ones back home. Say what you will, even the wealthiest back home couldn't get away with things they accept on principal here."

The goddess nodded as she moved away from Wyena. "I know how you feel about them and how you have been hurt in the past by the entitled, but I think you have an opportunity in her. I have watched you both and while yes, she does have the sentiment of you being a commoner, you have already upended her worldview by showing that someone the powerful of this world consider beneath their contempt can do extraordinary things."

Jake nodded before looking back down at the sleeping woman. "You know, if you'd told me what I needed to know I wouldn't have had to run around kidnapping crossdressing nobles. I need her because you've got this grand plan for growth that you've neglected to tell the focus of it about."

The goddess crooned in amusement. "It seems to be working quite well to me. You have shed the wilderness that hid you for so long and now you have begun to make a larger impact on this world without me telling you how to do it. Your experiences will make you stronger than my guidance ever could."

"I suppose that's true" Jake put in. "After all, not everybody is meant for a cutesy school life academy story, some prefer the school of life, the university of hard knocks, and the internship of getting the shit kicked out them."