Chapter 42

Authors note: For those who don't know, a garderobe is medieval toilet hole that allows feces to fall out of a castle and into a cesspit outside.

"I hope you two haven't gone too stir-crazy while I've been away, the last thing we need right now is to bring the entire Balistrean rider corps down on us" Jake said to the twins, his nose wrinkling as he walked into main stable of the old barracks.

The twins hadn't left the place for the last few days and it smelled like death incarnate. Large piles of feces had accumulated in the corners. If the roof hadn't had a large hole in it to ventilate the fumes the place probably would've been too toxic to enter.

Ragnarok snorted so dryly that Jake didn't need the bond to realize that he was bored out of his skull and even though she was far more stoic than her brother, Valkyrie wasn't faring much better.

"Well, that will probably change very soon, you two feeling ready to raise some major havoc?" Jake asked before immediately being bombarded with the twin's excitement. That was a definite yes. He was damned if he wasn't a complete match for the pair, they loved raising hell as much as he did.

"Good, because you guys are my last hope if this all goes to shit" Jake thought as he walked up and patted each of them on the muzzle.

Jake tensed suddenly as the twins alerted him to another dragon and rider approaching, then quickly relaxed as he saw Jadiak fly into the barracks through the collapsed roof. He broke into a grin as he saw that Jadiak's bronze dragon, Dust Rider, clutched two large objects in her fore and hind legs, wrapped in shrouds to obscure them from view.

She set the objects down before hovering over setting down on the far side of the barracks.

"It's good to see you again, hope it wasn't too much trouble getting these made" Jake said as Jadiak dismounted, walked over and they grasped each other's forearms in greeting.

"Not too much trouble" Jadiak replied with a shrug. "Although the smiths were quite confused as to what exactly these were for"

"Another trade secret, but also a backup plan in case my original one goes completely to hell" Jake said grinning wickedly. "But I guarantee you it will be spectacular if it comes to that."

"Should I be worried?" the dark-skinned man asked with a frown.

"Maybe" Jake said. "Is your family going to be at that party tomorrow night?"

Jadiak shook his head. "My family has little time or patience for Rindar's power games, they are strong enough and indispensable enough on their own to ignore these ploys, I will however be working security at this particular party."

"So, your family must be one the overmighty vassals Rindar wants to bring to heel by acquiring this chronicle" Jake thought.

Jadiak broke off for a second and flashed Jake an uncharacteristic grin before continuing. "Ramor's been confined to the academy for brawling by the way, he asked me to pass on his thanks, he hates these events as much as my family does."

"Pleasure" Jake said "I needed him there anyway, I want Wyena's dragon ready in case we need to make a quick getaway"

Jadiak raised an eyebrow. "Do you think it will come to that?"

"I don't know" Jake replied with shrug. "But it's always good to be prepared"

"Fair enough point" Jadiak agreed "so, what is your plan involving the party and do you need me to do anything?"