Chapter 46

Jake and Wyena tore into the hall, ducking into a small side passage as they heard the sound of guards thundering down the stairs from the floor above.

"Do you know the way around this place?" Jake asked, his guard up as they quickly made their way down the passage.

Wyena shook her head. "I haven't been in the palace before I was taken here, and I was unconscious then"

"Well, this tunnel has to lead somewhere" Jake muttered quietly.

"How did they find out so quickly?" Wyena said her sword at the ready. "Were they expecting this to happen?"

"I'm sure they were expecting something to happen" Jake said quietly. "But that's not why they reacted so quickly"

"Then why?" Wyena said expression betraying her confusion.

"I ran into your former fiancé" Jake replied unable to keep himself from grinning sheepishly "so I shoved him headfirst into the palace shitter, he must've gotten out of the cesspit and raised the alarm"

Wyena looked at him for a moment before she doubled over, hand over her mouth to silence the laughter.

"Y-You shoved him into the palace garderobe?!" Wyena choked out as her hand came away from her face.

"I thought it was fitting" Jake said returning her smile "he is a piece of shit after all"

"Truer words have never been spoken" Wyena agreed. "Still, we should focus on getting out of here right now"

Jake nodded and the two of them continued making their way down the passage. They could still here the sounds of pursuit in the distance, but it didn't appear as though it was getting any closer for the time being.

"You holding up ok?" Jake asked checking to see if the coast was clear as the pair rounded another corner.

"Yeah" Wyena said as she massaged her temple. "Just trying to make sense of all these new emotions coming down the link. How do you cope with it?"

Jake shrugged "you just get used to it with time, I'll teach you how to control it later, comes in quite handy in a tight spot, just don't call your dragon to you before we're ready to make our exit"

Wyena nodded and the two of them quickly made their way down the passage.

Jake held up a hand as they approached a small stairwell. After checking to see that it was clear Jake motioned and the two of them crept silently up the staircase.

"Is it just me, or does this staircase seem to go on longer than the other one?" Jake muttered as they climbed another flight of stairs with no landing in sight.

"It is strange" Wyena replied her sword held at the ready. "Then again I've been rethinking strange on a daily basis since I met you"

"I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted" Jake said gesturing for her to stop as he saw the stairs gave way to a narrow, dimly lit corridor, a small door on the far side.

Poking his head over the top of the steps he quickly glanced around and signaled to Wyena when he saw that the coast was clear.

Moving quickly, they crossed the corridor and stood in front of the door. Jake cursed as the padlock held solid. Reaching into his tunic he pulled out another bag of thermite powder and poured a small amount of it into the lock.

Once again striking a flint, Jake turned his head away as the powder burned clean through and padlock fell to the stone floor. Grabbing the door Jake yanked it open, then froze. It was a large torture chamber.