Chapter 1: I Didn't Sign Up For This

Disclaimer: I do not own Alex Rider and crew. They belong to Anthony Horowitz. The only thing mine is some of the plot and the OCs. Enjoy!

Also:

I'm using Alex's birthday as February 13th, 1987.

This takes place right after Never Say Die.

I'm welcome to any suggestions, so comment away!

Chapter 1: I Didn't Sign Up For This

Alex Rider is watching the carpenters in his Chelsea house with his housekeeper, Jack Starbright. They had just returned from Wales. After an around-the-globe search, Alex was glad to have his best friend back. After Jack received her $5 million reward for helping save the Linton Hall children, she decided to renovate the house they shared.

Currently, the carpenters are putting a new carpet in the bedroom that once belonged to Ian Rider, Alex's late uncle. In the closet, one of the carpenters exclaims: "Excuse me boss, but we've found a book under the old carpet." He hands the ratty book to Alex.

Alex examines it and laughs. "Jack! Can you believe Uncle Ian kept a diary! Come on, let's read it! Maybe I can find some dirt on Blunt or something!" He laughs again.

Wanting privacy, he leads Jack to the kitchen once the workers leave. Cracking open the book, they begin to read.

August 12th, 1986

"Congratulations on your latest mission, Agent Rider. You have successfully stopped the assassination of the American ambassador." I looked up at my new boss. He was just promoted about 6 months ago. Never have I seen a man so colorless. He stares, awaiting a response. I nod. My boss, Alan Blunt, accepts this and hands me an envelope. He gestures towards the door of his office. "Dismissed, Agent Rider."

I get out of my chair and head for the door. On an impulse, I turn around. "Is there any news on John? Helen and I haven't heard from him in weeks. I thought he was just preparing for the undercover operation."

Blunt glared at me for a few seconds. His expression softened, slightly. "Classified, Rider. Go home, you deserve it."

Sighing, I leave the office. This is the most emotion I've ever seen Blunt portray. Seriously, he's more lizard than human. I get into my car and drive to the dilapidated little house that Helen and John are staying in as a part of his cover.

"Any word on John?" Helen questioned me as soon as I entered her small kitchen.

"Sorry, H," I said, kissing the top of her head. "Bossman won't give anything up. He should be home before he is sent off to Venice, though."

Helen sighed. John hasn't been home in about 5 weeks. Blunt says he is training for his upcoming mission to investigate a new criminal organization called Scorpia. I, however, am growing suspicious. Usually, John at least writes his wife, telling her that he is okay. Helen is concerned too. She is trying to conceal it, but I can tell by the obscene amount of baked goods in the living room. She's always been a stress baker.

I laughed and picked up a muffin, taking a bite. "Damn it, Ian, you'll spoil your dinner!" Helen exclaimed.

"Awww, H? You're cooking for me?" I teased.

"You have an active job, Ian. You need to be well fed. Cheap pizza in that lowlife apartment of yours isn't going to cut it." She said, only half joking.

I laughed, about to say that her house is no better than my apartment, but the phone rang.

Helen ran over to pick it up. "Hello?"