Chapter 4: Ash

Disclaimer: I do not own Alex Rider and crew. They belong to Anthony Horowitz. The only thing mine is some of the plot and the OCs. Enjoy!

Also, I doing my best to work through Anthony Horowitz's confusing-ass timeline. His timeline is kind of a mess, and I apologize for any discrepancies.

Chapter 4: Ash

August 24th, 1986 (continued)

Inside conference room 4, Helen told me her message.

"John,

It's Helen. I miss you so much. I hope saving the world from Scorpia is worth all this sacrifice. It hasn't been easy without you, but Ian has been amazing. Speaking of sacrifice, I have some shocking news: I'm 14 weeks pregnant. Sorry for that bombshell, but undercover agent or not, you deserve to know that I'm having your child. Anyways, I love you so much John, please don't get yourself killed.

Love, Helen

P.S. The baby is due in February, so please, try to be home by then."

Helen nodded, signifying that she was finished. I quickly coded it, and added my own message:

John,

Ian here. I just wanted to inform you that your wife is the most badass person I've ever met. This had best be the greatest pregnancy announcement ever because she had to bitch slap Alan Blunt to contact you. It was great, I wish you'd seen it. Keep being Golden Boy, and kick Scorpia's ass. I'm proud of you, man. Come home soon, Helen needs you.

Love,

Ian Rider

I hit the 'enter' button on the calculator, praying that John would get the messages.

Helen and I walked back into his office and handed Blunt his calculator. He and Helen didn't make eye contact. "I'll see you tomorrow for work, Agent Rider," Blunt said. I could hear the undertoned or else in the way he said that. I nodded, and Helen and I went to the car.

"Damn," I exclaimed, "H, that was the most badass thing I've ever witnessed. You bitch slapping Blunt was something many dream of, but few dare to do."

Helen laughed. "It felt good. He was being a cunt," Helen starts cracking up. "I guess he's 'Blunt the cunt.'"

We laughed the rest of the way home.

September 28th, 1986

About a month after Helen smacks the head of MI6 Special Operations, I am driving her back to the Royal and General. We both have been super busy lately. I've been on a mission in Argentina, and Helen has had many doctors appointments and has been working extra shifts to pay for a nursery. She's finally showing her 4 and ½ month belly. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed her while we were away until I saw the bump. I can't even imagine how John, her husband and baby daddy, must feel, being trapped with a group of criminals instead of with his pregnant wife. Speaking of John, Blunt has called us back to his office.

"Have a seat, Agent and Mrs. Rider." Blunt begins. "We are trying to get John out. He's had an incredibly successful month, and if he continues at this rate, we should have him home by Christmas. Scorpia is getting dangerous, and we have enough leads to make some damaging arrests. We plan to stage a fake kidnapping. Mrs. Rider, The two of you will have to live in an MI6 safe house for the foreseeable future, but at least you'll be safe and together."

"Thank you, Mr. Blunt," Helen replied. She looked incredibly relieved.

Blunt dismissed Helen but told me to stay. "Agent Rider," he says, "John wants out of Scorpia, out of MI6. This baby came at the worst possible time."