i.

i.

The first time Prince Maven Calore ever felt any sort of ill feelings towards his brother, he was two years old. 

Along with Queen Elara and King Tiberius, the two child princes were taken to the Bowl of Bones right before a bloody event. "This is where criminals and enemies of our Kingdom must be taken and executed." He explained to the young boys as they entered the cells, Sentinels and guards bowed their heads in respect as the royal family passed them. Immediately in the darkness, Maven clung to his mother, bright blue eyes filling with tears of fear. But Cal was unshaken by the criminals held behind bars for the day's event. Even for a four year old, he had always been fearless, or at least he sure played the part well. Unwavering in the face of apparent fear. "They are meant to display our Strength and Power." 

When Maven began to weep, his mother placed a hand on his back, trying to reassure him. She was always gentle with him. Only with him. But he was a child, learning the cruel ways of his father's empire. He could not be so easily comforted despite her efforts.

Standing next to the king was Cal, his oldest son, eyes bronze like the flames he could produce with his hands. The brothers resembled each other, and resembled their father. But each of them held a difference of their own. While Maven had his mother's ice cold blue eyes, Cal's were bronze and warm like his mothers. Total opposites of each other despite the other resemblances. But even in personality they were different. Cal didn't flinch as his father explained what the Bowl of Bones was meant for. But they could all feel the weight of a burden being placed on the four year old's shoulders as the King added, "You will be king one day, and you will be expected to uphold our rules and traditions."

From Maven's side, the queen sneered at the mention of Cal being king, though it was a quiet sound that was only heard by her son. Maven always knew that Elara despised Cal, he knew it in the way she talked to him and regarded him.

Even when his mother passed away and he was only two years old, she had been cruel, telling him to wipe the tears from his eyes. That men didn't cry. He wasn't allowed to mourn her.

And seeing him there, with his father's full attention, his father's praise, his father's love. Cal was his father's favorite while he hardly ever glanced at Maven. Maven couldn't help but feel a dark jealousy take root in his heart. Why did he only love him, and not both?

Elara had explained it to her son ruthlessly when he asked her why their father spent so much time with Cal, and why he seemed to favor Cal. "Cal is the son of his precious Coraine, and he loved her. He does not love me, therefore he does not love us. You can blame your brother for that."

Even in that dark room, Cal casted a shadow that kept Maven hidden.

Cal was the flame, and Maven was the shadow.

-

so i'm going to try to keep these short, at about five hundred words. but this is the first time maven ever felt a sort of hate or jealousy towards his brother. 

please stay tuned. i am going to post another maven fanfic. this one involved mare and maven. im honestly currently stuck between both lanes. part of me ships mare and maven, while the other part of me ships cal and mare. this one is an old 5sos fanfic i wrote a long time ago. but i will adapt it to fit red queen.

thank you all for reading.

it means a lot to me.

-clary