The Sorting

It was a long train ride. The mudblood boy took out a book and began to read it. Despite herself, Andromeda watched him out of the corner of her eye to see if she recognised the book. She stared in awe at the bright cover and the glazed smiles of the children and the dog on it. She had never seen a picture that didn't move before, and her fingers itched to reach out and poke them to see if they'd react.

Free from his cage, Max dozed on her lap, one eye half open and staring at the boy. It was clear he didn't know what to make of him either.

When the train finally stopped, it was dusk. Andromeda put Max into his cage (and winced at the subsequent scratch), then followed the others off the train, panicking again at the crowd.

It was almost impossible to find Bellatrix in the sea of black, but finally she noticed her by her hair. Bellatrix had suck thick, curly hair that she stood out in the crowd.

"Stop following me," her sister said irritably. "The first years have to go on the boats, you know that, Andromeda."

She did. Cygnus had been telling her about Hogwarts for years, but in her panic she'd forgotten some details.

Bellatrix sighed impatiently. "Here," she said. "Give me the cat."

"You'll take care of him?" She asked anxiously.

Bellatrix rolled her eyes, hefting the cage into her arms. "Yes, Andromeda. Now go."

Andromeda went and lined up with the other first years, feeling horribly alone. A massive man with a hairy beard and small brown eyes like currants was shining a lantern.

"All here?" He asked, shining it over them all. "All righ' then, follow me!"

Andromeda glanced back at Bellatrix, who was climbing into a horseless black carriage, and then back to her group, hurrying on to keep up with the man's big strides.

He led them to a collection of small wooden boats by the lake, and when he announced that there were three to a boat, the children excitedly selected the friends they'd already made on the train. Andromeda knew one or two of them from her parents' dinner parties, but they had all already selected their partners before she could even open her mouth, and she closed it again, dejected.

A heavy hand was laid on her shoulder, and the man said, "Not teh worry, not teh worry. You can share with me."

Andromeda looked doubtfully between him and the small wooden boat, and he laughed.

"These little boats are strong. Hop in!"

The big man sat at the front of the boat with his lantern, Andromeda squashed at the back. As the boat moved forward, she felt sicker and sicker. There was one small, niggling worry that had grown over the past few weeks, become something poisonous and horrible. She didn't dare say it out loud.

What if she didn't get Sorted into Slytherin?

It was a thought that almost made her ashamed. All of the Blacks had been in Slytherin. Every one of them. And Cygnus had taken it for granted that she would be too.

But she still felt ill woth worry as the boat moved steadily across the lake, and they climbed out and stood waiting in the hall. She shivered. The air was cool, and played with the end of her thick plait. She bit at her nail and half closed her eyes. You must be the one to carry on my legacy.

But what if she couldn't?

None of the others were talking now either, save for occasional whispers. It seemed they were all nervous too.

A tall, thin witch with jet black hair in a tight bun and rounded spectacles fetched the stool and worn hat. From Bellatrix's descriptions, she knew she was Professor McGonagall

They were all lead into the Great Hall, and she felt even sicker. Everyone's eyes were on them, absolutely everyone was looking. She hated being the centre of attention. It brought back horrible memories of the wedding, and the disastrous piano recital. She wished she could disappear, fade into the background like a chameleon.

The hat sung its song, but she was too frightened to listen properly, and when it lapsed into silence, Professor McGonagall shook out a long list.

"When I call your name," she said in curt tones, "You must sit on the stool. I will place the Sorting Hat on your head, and when it makes its decision, you must go and sit at your table. Let us begin. Anderson, Liam!"

Andromeda's nails were no more than tiny slivers at this point. She could see Bellatrix at the Slytherin table, watching with interest. She wanted to make her and her parents proud. She needed to make them proud. If she was Sorted into any other House at all, it would be terrible. Without her noticing, McGonagall had quickly run down all of the A's, and she was the second B.

"Black, Andromeda!"

Andromeda jumped a little at the sound of her name, and the whispers that started around the room didn't escape her either. With legs like water, she half stumbled to the stool and sat down, her heart thumping. The hat was lowered over her head, so big it nearly covered her eyes. Hm, said a voice right by her ear.

A Black.

I need to be in Slytherin, she thought. Please put me in Slytherin.

Did I ever say I was thinking otherwise? You're a true Black, perfectly suited to SLYTHERIN!"

It yelled the last word, and the relief was so instantaneous that she nearly fell as McGonagall lifted the hat and she made her way to the table as though in a dream, the applause thundering through her mind. Bellatrix was clapping too, and smiled at her across the table.

Andromeda ate little, and when it was time to go to the dormitory, she was so tired she felt she couldn't even unpack.

There were seven other girls in her dormitory, three she knew, because they were Yaxley, Lestrange and Rowle respectively, and four she didn't, nor did she recognise the surnames.

She was surprised when Theodora Yaxley started chattering to her, but remembered what Bellatrix had said about the family name and only mumbled responses, then said she was going to bed. She closed the heavy emerald hangings and changed, climbing into the large four poster. She didn't go to sleep straight away, though, instead taking out ink and parchment.

Dear Mother, Father and Narcissa,

I hope you are all well. Tonight I was Sorted into Slytherin, and now I am happy but tired.

Regards, your daughter and sister, Andromeda.

When she was finished, she started another one.

Dear Cissy,

I hope you're all right on your own, and Miss Travers isn't being very beastly to you. I was sorted into Slytherin (thank goodness) and I'm tired now. There are so many people here, Cissy, and they all look so strange! The station was full of odd people, and some of the women even wore trousers or had short hair like you did, before Grandmother grew it back. I think there are a lot of mudbloods too, because I had to sit with one on the train. Don't worry, I didn't talk to him, but it was very strange to see a real one.

I love you very much,

Your sister, Andromeda

Xxxxxx

She sealed them up and left them on her bedside table, ready to be sent tomorrow. Max was looking around him miserably, and she picked him up, rubbing her cheek against his soft fur.

"I suppose you're missing Tom," she whispered. "Because he's your brother. I miss Cissy. You had sisters too, but I don't suppose you remember. At least we have each other here."

Max purred and gently butted his head against her hand. Andromeda laughed, then put him down, and he hopped to the floor, finding a nice bed on her trunk, and she put out the light and lay down.