The Banshee's Scream

Her scream was horrific. It was loud and sharp, and filled with so much pain that Andromeda's eyes burned, and she was forced to look away from the woman. It went on for a long time, possibly even almost a full minute, and then the silence was ringing. When she could bear to look again, the banshee was gone. The entire table was shaken, and some of the guests were hurriedly wiping their faces. Andromeda even spied her grandfather mopping his eyes with his handkerchief.

"Very well," the Dark Lord said, like nothing had happened, but a man was half standing.

"My lord," he whispered, his voice shaking. "Surely you know - to hear a banshee's scream - it's a terrible curse -"

"Superstition," The Dark Lord said dismissively, and then he fingered the long carved wood of his wand. "Are you questioning me, Greengrass?"

The man gulped. "N - no my lord. Never, my lord."

"Good. Get out."

"Now, my lord?"

"Yes, of course now. I cannot stand to look at you."

Greengrass left the room to silence, and The Dark Lord stared after him thoughtfully. "Ah, Greengrass," he said lightly, sliding his wand back up his sleeve. "I do not think he will be with us for long."

The vampire lay huddled at his feet like some kind of broken toy; he stepped around it like it was nothing to him, and stood before the faerie and the werewolf, both of whom had stood. The werewolf was first, pulling up a grubby sleeve to show an even grubbier arm. The Dark Lord touched the skin gingerly with his long white fingers, the tip of his wand against it.

"Do you swear, Greyback, that your allegiance will lie with no other than me? Do you swear that you will rush to my side at all times, no matter what, that your being belongs to no other than Lord Voldemort?"

"I swear," Greyback muttered, and hissed in pain, clutching his forearm as the Mark blossomed ink black. The faerie looked at him in distaste. "I will bear no Mark. I am not your creature."

"Of course not," The Dark Lord said, his tones as smooth as butter. "Come, let us talk."

The two left the dining room together, and uncertain chatter began, then rose into a buzz when he didn't come back. Andromeda was shaking, watching as people laughed around the body of the vampire.....she had been taught that vampires were human no longer, that they were evil creatures better pitied and sent to death. But he had not looked like a creature. He had looked like a man, and had fallen like one.

When the food arrived, she could not eat, unable to understand how everybody was so calm.

"Grandmother?" she said in a whisper, looking to the group as they laughed. "Aren't they going to take away the body?"

"When they've had their fun," her grandmother replied, and she could not stand it any longer. She felt ill. Andromeda left for the bathroom. The hall was empty, and Greengrass was sitting on one of the long sofas, dabbing his forehead with his handkerchief and quickly drinking whiskey.

Andromeda turned for the bathroom, but a cold hand grasped her elbow. She gasped, whirling to see Bellatrix. Her sister looked the same as ever, thick black curly hair, large dark eyes, pale as a ghost. "Andromeda," she hissed. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"Grandmother and Grandfather brought me. I –"

"Does Mother know?"

"No! Of course not, she wouldn't let me go anyway."

Bellatrix swallowed, letting go of her arm. "You're too young."

"You sound like Mother," Andromeda rubbed her elbow when her sister's nails had dug in. She could still hear the shrieks of laughter from the dining room.

"Congratulations," she said quietly. "For the wedding."

Bellatrix shifted. "Thank you. I......it's all rather strange. How is Narcissa?"

"All right," Andromeda hesitated. "She....she misses you."

"Yes," Bellatrix said, and she sniffed. "Well. She wouldn't come with me. Neither of you would."

"It wasn't that simple! Narcissa wanted to stay with Mother, and I –"

"Wanted to stay with Narcissa," she said flatly. She seemed cold, rubbing her bare arms. "Right."

"Oh Bellatrix, don't be like that! I wanted to come, of course I did, but I couldn't leave her there on her own."

Bellatrix sighed. "You don't understand," she said stiffly. "You don't understand anything. War is starting soon, and I just wanted you to be safe."

"We wouldn't be safe here," Andromeda said. "With the Dark Lord? Bellatrix, he – he's evil! He kills people, he –"

"Shut up!" Bellatrix hissed, and she pulled her behind a pillar. In the shadow, Andromeda saw her wide eyes.

"Never say that again," she whispered urgently. "Never, ever, not here, not anywhere, not to anyone. Do you hear me?"

Andromeda was frightened by her tone and her tight grip on her arm, and was slow to respond, and Bellatrix gave her a little shake. "Do you hear me?"

"Yes," she whispered. "Bellatrix, you're hurting me."

Bellatrix let go of her arm, breathing hard, and she went back towards the dining room.

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵  ‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

Andromeda was very quiet on the journey home. She gazed out at the passing dark and her stomach churned.

"You must never hesitate again, Andromeda," her grandfather told her, pulling off his gloves in a quick, irritated manner. "He forgave you this time because he is merciful to the ignorant. He will not be so lenient next time."

"Yes Grandfather," she murmured, and they sat in silence.

When they arrived at the house, Andromeda went to wish her grandmother goodnight. She knocked gently on the door, and when she replied, she pushed it open. Roseanne sat by the fire in the bedroom, taking off her jewelry, which glittered in the light of the fire.

"Did you see Bellatrix?" She asked, carefully putting her sapphires into their box.  "You could learn a thing or two from her. You see what comes of being a good girl, Andromeda."

"Aurelia was a good girl," she whispered, surprising even herself. There was an intake of breath, and then her grandmother stood up and slapped her sharply across the face. Andromeda could not help but whimper in pain, and in the mirror above the dressing table she could see the mark of her grandmother's rings on her face.

"You must never mention that name again," her grandmother said, and she turned back around to the dressing table and reached up to unhook her necklace.

Andromeda raised her hand to her burning cheek, and slowly made to leave, but her grandmother called to her as she reached the door, "Andromeda?"

"Yes?"

"Make sure you close that door properly, it's got a problem with the hinges."

"Yes," she said quietly. "Good night, Grandmother."

"Good night Andromeda," she said, as the door snapped shut.