11

A/N: Unedited random nonsense shit :'3

Rei opened her eyes. The late morning sun was shining through the curtains, hitting her face directly. If it hadn't been sharply stabbing her eyes, the light would've been quite beautiful.

As she sat up, she heard the sound of cars driving outside, just as usual. The sound of a news broadcast could also be heard from her living room. Had the TV been left on? She thought for a moment, then knew. Of course. Connor.

After quickly getting dressed and putting her glasses on, Rei raced out of her room. What the hell was Connor doing, watching the news? He's an android...

"Hey, Con." She entered the room and leaned against the wall, stealing a quick glance at the TV. "Something happening here in Detroit?"

Connor stood stiffly in front of the TV, observing the news intently. "There's been... a deviant attack at Stratford Tower."

Rei raised an eyebrow at Connor. "Ooh, a deviant attack? So... are we going to investigate?"

"I could go alone," Connor responded, smiling slightly at her. "You can stay at home and rest."

"Connor!" Rei frowned. "I don't need to rest; I am perfectly capable of tagging along with you guys. Besides, you know how much I love investigating anything involving androids."

Connor grinned. That perfect smile... "Alright, I guess it won't hurt if you came along."

~~~

TIME SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIP

~~~

Connor stood in the elevator, Rei to his right and Lieutenant Anderson to his left. He pulled out his quarter coin and tossed it between his two hands, flipping it and rolling it over his knuckles occasionally. 

"You're really starting to piss me off with that coin, Connor," the lieutenant snapped, snatching the coin away.

Connor lowered his head slightly. "Sorry, Lieutenant."

The elevator slid slowly to a stop at the 47th floor, and Lieutenant Anderson stepped out first. Connor followed suit, only after he adjusted his tie. As he was about to go forth to investigate the crime scene, he felt Rei slip something into his hand. A coin.

"Thank you, but what is this for?" Connor questioned. The coin was a bit heavy for its size, and was also quite old. 1987 Soviet Ruble.

The young technician pushed her glasses up and shrugged. "Hank took your coin, so I thought you might like it if I gave you another one." She glanced up at him, locking eyes with him. "My... my father gave me that coin, but it was originally from my grandfather."

"Are you sure you wouldn't want to keep it?" Connor tossed the coin gently—it was a lot harder to manipulate than the quarter.

She shook her head. "No, you can have it. Keep it with you."

Software instability 🔼

Connor slid the coin into his pocket and patted it, then walking off to find the lieutenant, who was talking to Officer Miller. 

"And here's FBI special agent Richard Perkins," Connor heard the officer say as he stepped beside Lieutenant Anderson.

A middle-aged man stepped in front of the lieutenant, looking the old man over critically.

"I'm, uh, Lieutenant Hank Anderson from the DPD." Lieutenant Anderson didn't seem to be too pleased with Perkins either. "I've been assigned to investigate deviant cases."