Condolences

Shayne:

"Thanks for your condolences Mrs. Sui" I said as I shook her hand.

"If you ever need anything don't hesitate to ask darling" She said.

"Of course" I replied.

"If I may I excuse myself, I have to go talk to my daughter" Mrs. Sui said before sauntering off.

I sighed and grabbed a glass of wine from the server. Another one down another condolence incoming. Just like at the funeral, all throughout this gathering at my familys house, my new house, people were going to say how sorry they felt for me. Mr. Miller and his wife approached as I sipped my drink.

"Hello son, how are you holding up?" Mr. Miller asked putting a hand on my shoulder.

"I'm alright" I said.

"I'm so sorry for your loss" Mrs. Miller said.

"Thank you" I said.

"If there's anything you need, don't hesitate to ask us" Mr. Miller said.

"Of course, sorry I must cut away, but I must attend to something" I said cutting the conversation short.

"Of course, take your time" Mrs. Miller said giving me somber eyes.

I nodded and walked off in the direction of the kitchen. I didn't really have to attend to anything. I just got so tired of people coming up and saying how sorry they were. I know some of them meant it but the others just looked at me with greed. They knew that I was now the richest man in town. As I was still single many times they tried to set me up with their daughters. Mr. Miller oftentimes tried to set me up with his daughter Courtney. I couldn't stand it so I decided to go to my usual relax place. I walked back near the kitchen and took a turn and headed into my vast library. Sitting in the library and reading books while my father was at work was one of my favorite memories. I loved to read and could never get enough of a good book. As I previewed the books on the shelf I thought I saw figures near the back of the room. I set down the book quietly and moved near the shadows. I rounded the corner and saw Courtney and Olivia whispering. Although Mr. Miller always tried to set us up, Courtney and I were just great friends. Olivia was Mrs. Sui's daughter. I didn't know that much about her because they moved here when high school ended 2 years ago. I had only seen her in passing and when I talked to her mother. They didn't see me just yet so I decided to give then a quick jump scare as a joke. I yelled obnoxiously at them and they screamed back in response. As I was laughing I could see Courtney didn't mind but Olivia looked a little agitated.

"Fuck you dude" Olivia said.

"What?" I said a little shocked.

"Olivia!" Courtney said.

No one had ever talked to me like that before. Granted it wasn't that bad but I was so used to people being fake. This girl just spoke her mind clear as day. Courtney tried to defend her.

"Sorry Shayne, she's just startled" Courtney tried to say.

"Why are you apologizing? He was a dick!" Olivia said.

"Olivia!" Courtney said staring at her.

"It's fine" I said with a wave of my hand.

"Mhm" Olivia said rolling her eyes.

Courtney stared at Olivia in shock. I knew they were good friends but Courtney had known me longer and oftentimes defended me above all else.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked.

"We came in here to talk about something private" Courtney said avoiding answering.

Olivia didn't say anything this time. She just stared back at me.

"Oh, ok, well I was just gonna grab a book and go" I said.

"Ok, stay safe" Courtney said.

"I'll be fine" I replied.

I walked away as if I was leaving but I stopped behind the next bookshelf to hear their conversation. If it was anything like I predicted Courtney would probably chastise Olivia for how she acted towards me. I had asked Courtney to stop acting like I was so important but she was already so used to it that she just continued on doing it. Suprisingly the conversation took a turn.

"Olivia how will I ever set you up with him, if you keep acting like you don't care about him?" Courtney said.

"Acting? I don't really care about him all that much" Olivia replied.

While it wasn't surprising that Courtney was trying to set me up, this was the first time someone had said they weren't interested in me. Even when they didn't necessarily like my look, most people pushed that aside and fancied me for my money. Olivia had intrigued me to say the least.

"Like so what he's got some money? Whoopty Doo" Olivia said.

"It's not just some money Olivia, he's the richest man in town" Courtney said.

"And?" Olivia began.

I left as so I didn't hear anymore. As much as I wanted to hear the rest I didn't want to be anymore nosey. Plus even though I didn't like fake people, I didn't like to be insulted either. As I left the library through the big doors I made a mental note. I would have to call and schedule something with Mrs. Sui and her daughter this week. Olivia had caught my eye for some reason.

_______________________________________
Whoo first chapter done! I hope you guys enjoyed it! I will try to update this as often as I can. Thanks for reading. ❤️❤️