Chapter 4 - Never mix business with pleasure

I see green grass, a golden sun and the orphanage I know so well. I laugh as I hold Avery’s hand and we skip together. I look up to his face but it is blurry, I can’t see his face but I don’t care, I know he is happy. We are laughing and smiling, suddenly in our little house, playing cars. Then we are outside, lying on the grass and looking at the clouds. I feel free and happy; I can do anything and go anywhere. Then, suddenly, my eyes snap open and I sit up with a gasp.

               I blink rapidly and look around at my surroundings, fear rushing through my body. I look around and I feel the cool, night air on my skin. I look down at my clothes and I haven’t been touched. I look around and notice I am in the middle of a burned house. Then I realised, it was my house. The one Avery and I built together   

               Avery! Avery, where are you? Are you here? AVERY!

               I feel him happily nudge my shoulder and I sigh with relief and smile.

               “Good evening sleepy head.” A husky voice said from behind me.

               I jump up quickly and turn around, bringing out my switch blade from my boot and I lunge at the person. I tackle them to the ground and we roll, trying to gain control. I pin their hands down with my knees and press my knife to his throat and look into my attackers green eyes.   

               “Wow, wow, wow. Settle down sunshine, it’s me. It’s Felix, god…” He says with fear in his voice.

               “Ohh whoops, sorry. Don’t sneak up on my like that next time.” I say with a shrug and climb off him.  “So um, what happened? Usually when you’re in an explosion you, ya know, die.”

               “No idea woke up on the floor a few minutes before you. I don’t have a single scratch on me.” He shrugged.

               I feel Avery happily settle next to me and I smile. “Oh and since when did you have green eyes? I swear they were brown.” I ask quizzically.

               “Oh yeah, contacts. I never really liked my green eyes; I like brown so much better.” He says with a shrug while looking away.

               “Hmmmm, I knew someone once with eyes like that but he died a long time ago….” I trailed off.

               I look around what is left of my house and kick what was left of a chair, I felt like crying and screaming and yelling but I didn’t. I just stood and staring and the ground, anger blooming in chest. I clench my fists and my knuckles crack, I knew what I was going to do and I knew how I was going to do it. He wanted to play this game with me then I’ll play this game, he doesn’t know what he has gotten himself in to.    

               “I need to know everything you know about your dad. Anything and everything you can remember.” I say through clenched teeth.

               “Gladly, where do you want to start?” Felix answered.

               “Well, where do you think dumbass? From the start obviously. As far back as you can remember” I say without looking at Felix still.

               Several hours later Avery, Felix and I were sitting around a fire under the purple and dark blue sky with the bright stars shining above us; Felix had just finished telling me about his dad but I already knew everything he told me.