Chapter Six: Lucy

I sat in my car trying to get the courage to get out. I didn't want to go to the club and I've been trying to distance myself from Kam, but I didn't want to be alone. So I drove down to the hospital they had Zion rotting in. She might not talk to me, or even know who I am. But I need to get some shit off my chest.

I jumped out of my car and went inside the hospital. I signed my name then went in the direction the nurse pointed to Zion's room. The door was slightly ajar so I pushed it open. I walked in and to my surprise there was music playing and Zion was standing by the window. She didn't look as crazy as they said she was. I really wish she get up out of here. She's so much more than this.

Zion took over the mother role for me when she didn't have to. She knew my mother wasn't shit and my father was in these streets. She didn't have to accept me in her life but she did. I never saw her so weak though. My father being killed turned both our world's upside down but eventually I was able to put it right side up. The way Zion is just letting her life slip away shows me she never had that opportunity to do so.

"Zion?"

She turned around with a big smile on her face.

"I saw you when you got out the car."

"You know who I am?"

"Little miss Jade, all grown up. You look just like your father."

She opened up her arms for a hug and I hesitated. Scared that if I fall into her embrace, I'll break down. A small tear escaped my eye and I said fuck it. I ran into her arms and I held on to her slim body. She hugged me tight and lovingly just the way I needed. After some time we let each other go, whipping away tears that were shed. She grabbed my hand then pulled me down on the bed to sit.

"So tell me what's up with you. How you been?"

"Livin', ya know? With grandma dying-"

"She passed?"

I looked at her surprised then remembered where we were at.

"Why you up in here Zion? This ain't even you."

"When your father got killed, that shit took a toll on me. Killing myself ain't even some shit I ever thought I'd try to do... but I did. How can I go back out there and face everybody? Lookin' at me like I'm crazy and what not."

"I mean.... they already do, you sittin' up in here rottin'."

"Yeah I guess you're right. I have nowhere else to go though."

"Come with me. I mean I gotta small ass studio right now but we can go get some shit together. Run dad's empire."

"Run your dad's empire?"

She looked at me confused then her eyes got wide.

"Jade! You're not..."

"Quiet down! Why are you yellin'?"

"Your father would kill you!"

"Don't you think I know this?"

"What the fuck are you getting yourself into?"

"One day I was in grandma's attic looking for some curtains and shit. I found a note and some  money from dad. In the note he told me to take care of you and move all of us off somewhere. He also told me to go find two people and handle something for him. So I got with Uncle Russel, and I've been doing the same shit since."

"I'm pretty sure your father didn't ask you to go in and take his place. And I know for a fact if he was alive he would not only kill you but Russ as well."