Chapter Ten: Malachi

I put the alarm on my car and followed the old school music to the backyard of my father's house. Today is his birthday and Zion told me she was throwing him a little cook out. I honestly wasn't going to come. I had plans to continue wallowing in my extreme paranoia. But that didn't seem to have a productive effect on my day.

I didn't see a point to continue being an ass to my father. I know he means well. But me and him do have to discuss some things. Like Uncle Russel status. Not a day goes by that I feel even more guilty that he's behind bars because of me. And I also want to know what the fuck my dad has been doing all this time. Cause it damn sure wasn't being there for me and Zion.

My hair now being longer than what it used to be, was pulled it up into a messy bun and I threw on some shorts and a t shirt. I gave away majority of my flashy clothes and jewelry. I don't need any more attention drawn to me than it already is. In a way I feel like it humbles me and puts an invisible line between who I was and who I am now.

"Well well well, if it isn't Miss thug life." Zion's friend Robyn said. She always claimed to have been related to us but that has always been debatable. She's loud every time I see her I know that much.

"When you started coming back around?" I said while shooting her a bird.

I walked over to Zion and kissed her cheek. I never physically told her how much I appreciated her coming into my father's life and making him happy. That's all I could've ever asked for was for him to be happy and treated better than my no good ass mother treated him. Speaking of her, I haven't heard from the tramp in years. Sometimes I want to call in and check on her but then I think about all the times she hasn't checked up on me. The bitch wouldn't do anything but cause more confusion anyway.

"Where is he?" I asked her.

"Inside in the dining room. He's waiting on you."

Great.

I walked inside the house and found my father breaking down some weed on the table. I went to sit across from him but couldn't find the courage to look him in the eyes yet. I grabbed the cigar and started breaking it down.

"Happy birthday daddy."

"Oh so you talkin' to me now?"

"Come on dad, don't be like that. You have to at least understand where I'm coming from."

"I don't understand. I thought I was doing what was best for you. That's what I always thought I was doing."

"Dad.... I did a lot of things. Majority of those things I should've never done. All because I thought I was doing what you wanted. I thought you wanted me to take over."

"Well I didn't Jade."

He rolled up the blunt and lit it. He took two pulls then handed it to me.

"Why does everything have to be so negative ? You can't say just one time , Jade I'm proud of you?"

He sighed then came around the table to sit next to me. He kissed my forehead then smiled .

"Even though I didn't want that life for you, you was runnin it like I know you should've. You had to do no dirty work. You were classy with it."

"Thanks dad. But that's not what I came in here for."

"What's up ?"

"That bodyguard thing seems more and more like a better idea."

"What's going on?"

I sighed knowing it was time for me to put my pride to the side.

"I haven't been able to sleep dad. I'm always paranoid and watching my back. It's driving me insane. I really need your help with this now."