When The Chips Are Down/ Gone, I'm Gone

Hestia's closed early that day because of the Fête Guédé. Eurydice changed out of her uniform and met up with Marie and Hazel at their apartment. Hazel was sitting at the kitchen table, drawing a picture of a yellow horse with a black mane and tail. She had on a pretty black shirt-waist dress with a white Peter Pan collar.

"What a pretty dress, Hazel," Eurydice said to her

Hazel beamed and she stood up and spun around so that skirt spun out. Eurydice took a look at Hazel's drawing, which was remarkably good for a seven year old.
"That's a lovely horse," she commented, "Does it have a name?"
"His name is Arion," Hazel replied, "He's the fastest horse on earth."
"Where's your momma?"
"She's in the parlor with a visitor."
Eurydice assumed that Marie was conducting a seance or telling someone's fortune but noises coming from the other side of the beaded curtain sounded like an argument.
"You've got some nerve showing up here!" Marie hissed at her visitor, "Go back to that coal pit you come from and bother your wino wife. Isn't it her time of year?"
"Persephone and I needed some space," the stranger replied. When Eurydice recognized his deep, gravelly voice, she felt like she had been kicked in the stomach. "And I thought I'd drop by and see an old friend."
"You're no friend of mine."
She parted the beaded curtain and showed her guest out. He was the man from Hestia's.
"Evening, Little Song Bird," he said, winking at Eurydice.
The man peaked over Hazel's shoulder to look at her drawing.
"Good job, Little Lady."
"Thank you, Sir," Hazel answered.
Marie stepped out from behind the beaded curtain while counting a wad of dollar bills. She was dressed in a saffron colored dress and a turban decorated with paste jewels.